Chapter 57

Jareth's POV

Madame Pomfrey made Jareth leave after classes ended for the day. She said he could rest in his own dorm now. So that's what he did.

He walked through the halls silently, praying he wouldn't run into any of his friends, or Carter. Unfortunately, his prayers were not answered.

He ran straight into Sirius.

"Jareth, hey," Sirius breathed, eyes wide. Jareth smiled weakly and tried to move past him. Sirius lightly grabbed his arm. "Jareth, wait, can w- What happened? How did you get that bruise?" Sirius reached up to cup Jareth's face, but then flinched and brought his hand down. He bit his lip and stared at Jareth. Jareth turned away from him, frowning.

"Jareth... what happened...?" Sirius asked softly. "Please tell me... I want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine," Jareth snapped. "I just... fell."

"You... fell?"

"Yes! Now I have to go, okay? Goodbye, Sirius," Jareth said, and pushed past Sirius without looking back. He went to the Hufflepuff common room and froze in the doorway when he saw Leona sitting on a couch, doing homework.

He walked past her in silence and went into his dorm. He flopped onto his bed and sighed.

Minutes later, he heard muffled yelling from the common room. He sat up, confused, and ran over to the door and peeked out.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE, REID," Leona screamed at Carter. Carter laughed.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Evans," he said with a laugh. "I love him. I would never do anything to hurt him."

"You monster," Leona growled, glaring daggers at him. Carter only chuckled.

"Oh, I'm not the monster you should be worrying about..." Carter said. Leona looked taken aback.

"What?"

"Oh, please," Carter said, rolling his eyes. "Don't think I don't know about your boyfriend's little secret. And don't think that I am powerless against... you."

Carter glanced Jareth's way and smiled brightly, seeing the boy in the doorway.

"Jareth, darling, I was just coming to see you!" He said with a smile. Something in his eyes, however, told Jareth he was not happy. Carter held out his hand to Jareth. "Come along, Jare, let's get going." Jareth bit his lip and looked over at Leona, who was seething with rage. He looked back at Carter, who was smiling, but giving him a murderous look with only his eyes. Jareth nervously walked over to Carter, hesitantly taking his hand.

"Say bye bye to Miss Evans, Jare," Carter said with a smirk at Leona. Jareth waved slightly and walked out the door with Carter.

"I told you not to talk to Evans!" Carter said, slapping Jareth a for the second time that night, sending him to the floor of the room of requirements. "Did you tell her about last night?"

"N-No! I didn't talk to her!"

"You liar!" Carter kicked Jareth hard in the stomach. "Where were you last night?!"

"I-I was sick! I fell asleep, and I couldn't make it to class today, I'm sorry, I-"

"Shut up." Carter slapped him again. "Are you avoiding me? Your own boyfriend? I do everything for you, Jareth. I love you. And this is how you repay me?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I-" Jareth was cut off with another blow to the stomach. "C-Carter, ple-please, I'm sorry, I'll be better!"

"Damn right you will," Carter hissed. He grabbed Jareth by the collar of his shirt. "Not a word to anyone, or I'll kill you. Got it?" Jareth's eyes widened and he choked back a sob.

"G-Got it." Carter pulled him up to a standing position. He kissed Jareth, then pulled away.

"Good boy." He grabbed Jareth's butt quickly, then let him go and left the room of requirements without another word. Jareth collapsed to the floor in tears and screamed through his teeth.

'I was such an idiot to think someone could love me'