Chapter 33

Jareth's POV

The drive back home was fairly short; they filled them in on their year (leaving out the gay and dangerous parts) during that time.

"Sirius, why don't you stay in Jareth's room? Merlin knows that you and James would be up all night long if you were in the same room together during summer," their mum said once they got home.

"Come on, Mum," James whined.

"James, I don't want you two up talking and jumping around all night. This is final. Besides, I'm sure Jareth won't mind. He has that extra bed in there, anyway," she said. Oh, Jareth didn't mind. "You and Sirius already bunk with each other during the school months. It seems like a nice change." James continued to groan and complain, but Jareth didn't mind the "change".

"James, enough, or I'll take away your broom," Mum warned. James shut up after that, taking his bags up to his room. Jareth and Sirius took their bags up as well, dropping them in Jareth's room. They stared at each other awkwardly before Sirius broke down laughing.

"But... James... My best mate... Merlin, if only she knew," he said quietly, still laughing. Jareth smiled, shaking his head.

"Shut up and unpack, will you?" Jareth said, tossing Sirius his suitcase. Sirius started to unpack, still smiling.

James walked into the room angrily.

"Oh, of course you two are happy," he spat. "But I'm going to be all alone! Merlin... My best mate..." He shook his head with disapproval, walking back out of the room.

"This isn't fair," Sirius exclaimed, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry," Jareth whispered.

"No, Jareth, I don't mind being with you at all. It's just... I'll miss sharing a room with him," Sirius said.

"You are okay with this though, right? You're comfortable with it? If not I understand you can just go with James or, or something-"

"Jareth," Sirius said, stopping him. He peeked his head out into the hall then came back, kissing Jareth softly on the cheek.

"You just couldn't resist, could you?" Jareth teased. Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Shut up... Anyway, of course I'm okay with this. I have no problem with sharing a room with you."

"B-but what about James?"

"Well... I share a room with him at school. Of course I love to be around him, he's like a brother to me. My best mate. And I was looking forward to being with him all summer, even at night, and this is, honestly, quite disappointing but... Really, Jareth, this is no problem at all," Sirius said. Jareth nodded and moved away from Sirius, unpacking his school things.

"Sirius, you can't be okay with this, we need each other," James yelled, sprinting into Jareth's room.

"I know, mate, this is an outrage," Sirius said, sighing dramatically as usual. Jareth didn't know how he felt about his boyfriend's annoyance at having to share a room with him.

"James, Sirius, stop your whining," their mum said from down the hall. She walked into the room. "This is final. On weekends, you can share a room. I'm sorry, but I don't want you two up all night making noise when you father has work the next morning!"

"I'd be more worried about them making noise," James mumbled, quiet enough for their mum not to notice, but audible enough for both Sirius and Jareth to hear. Jareth tried not to blush while Sirius stifled a laugh.

"We wouldn't make much noise, Mum, we promise," James said.

"We really wouldn't," Sirius confirmed. They all knew it was a lie. Their mum shook her head and left the room.

"We would be fine," James whined. Sirius agreed.

"Why don't you two just drop it?!" Jareth yelled, officially done with both of the boys. He left the room quickly, going outside into the back yard. He climbed up one of the trees towards the back of their yard and made sure he was well hidden.

"What a wonderful start to the summer," Jareth mumbled to himself. He leaned back against the trunk and closed his eyes, drifting into a deep sleep.