Chapter 56

Leona's POV

Leona looked around the Great Hall for the third time in the last hour. Jareth still hadn't shown up, and she was starting to worry.

"James," she whispered loudly. He turned to her.

"What?"
"Have you seen your brother anywhere?" James shrugged and shook his head, then went back to his conversation with Sirius.

She groaned and stood, looking over at the Slytherin table. Carter was there, looking fabulous and cocky as always, but Jareth wasn't with him.

"I swear if he did anything to him," she mumbled to herself. She walked out of the Great Hall without another word to James or anyone else. She glanced back at the Slytherin table and noticed Carter watching her. She gave him a dirty look and he raised an eyebrow and smirked slightly. She rolled her eyes and continued walking out of the Hall. She walked down the halls and to the Hufflepuff common room. She walked up to Helga's painting.

"Have you, by any chance, seen Jareth this morning?" She asked politely. Helga smiled.

"I have," she said. Then she frowned. "I think he went to the hospital wing. He seemed quite sick."

"Thank you," Leo said, running back out of the common room. She went straight to the hospital wing and snuck in.

"Leona?" Jareth asked, surprised. Leona ran over to her friend and sighed in relief.

"You're here! Good," She sat on the end of his bed and smiled at him. Her smile quickly faded when she saw the large bruise on Jareth's cheek.

"Jareth! Oh, I knew I should've kicked his ass when I had the chance," she said, cupping Jareth's face in her hands. "I saw him hit you, Jare, and I'm so sorry I didn't stop him." Tears filled both hers and Jareth's eyes.

"You shouldn't be here," Jareth mumbled, looking away.

"I can't just let him keep hurting you like this, Jare-"

"He won't. It won't happen again. He just had a hard day, I'm sure he's fine now. It's okay, Leona. But... I shouldn't be talking to you, I-"

"Jareth Henry Potter, there is absolutely no excuse for abuse," Leona said firmly. She took Jareth's hand.

"And I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm here for you, always," she said. Jareth stared at her. Leona noticed that no emotion passed over Jareth's face.

"Thank you," he said. Leona smiled. "But you need to go. I want to you be safe. And in order for me to be safe as well, you need to leave." Leona's smile faded. She looked into Jareth's eyes and nodded.

"I'm sorry, Jareth," she said. She kissed his forehead and stood. "I love you." Jareth nodded and she left, wiping away tears.

She knew she had to do something. But she didn't want her friend to get hurt.