Chapter 23

I was driving to work. I was still slightly annoyed with Derrick over the auction and then letting me sleep through new years eve. Then to see that magazine!

That was the first time since I've been an adult that I had that night off and I slept my drunk arse through it. So it was my fault too.

I had fallen asleep in the car and woke with a hangover the next afternoon. I had spent the rest of the day bickering before I got driven home.

Ellie had greeted me and after telling me I looked like shit, she handed me the magazine. Confused, I saw the front cover, it didn't have anyone I knew on it but one of the titles had Derrick's name.

I flicked through the mag till I found the page. It had a photo of Derrick. I sat on the couch and read.

... Although Mr Caine spent the majority of the year in England for Britain's TV show....

... Opening a restaurant downtown with high end clientele...

... Upon asking him of his status, Derrick Caine was very tight lipped. All he would let out was there was a very special someone that had blown in to his life. After asking him if he would consider a commitment in his new relationship he shook his head. 'You are going more further in to my future than what I have.'...

... When asked further about his special lady friend, Derrick would only let details out that she was funny and smart plus a brilliant cook herself...

... Derrick plans on just running his businesses for now, but has leaked out that he has been called forward for another TV show but not saying which one and where...

But what was worse for me was he was pinned as the fourth most eligible bachelor for the new year. I had enough reading and threw the magazine down. Why doesn't he tell me anything?

Now I was walking through the front door of work. The maitre de and a waitress stopped talking and looked up at me. Then I noticed more people looking at me. Everywhere I looked, I was being stared at.

Even in the kitchen. It was eerie quiet. Then I felt a hand grab my arm and dragged me to the office. I heard the door close as I turned to Derrick.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked. "Why is everyone looking at me?"

Derrick walked to his table and picked up a a magazine. "I'm sorry." Was all he said.

I took the floppy book from him. It was a different one to the one I looked at yesterday.

I dropped my bag on the chair and looked at the magazine.

Derrick Caine Engaged!

I flipped it open.

... Derrick Caine, a multimillionaire bachelor, is engaged! That's right! But who is the lucky woman? Why she works at not only one of his restaurants, but with him in his latest venture! Now don't forget that Derrick has only been back in Australia for just under two weeks. Now that's fast work!
We only have her first name, Tara, but we know what she looks like! She has the engagement ring hidden on a chain around her neck. We have managed to snag some photos of 'Tara' and Derrick together. Including a sneaky kiss on new years eve, plus sneaking out of a restaurant just after Christmas .

"Oh God." I muttered as I looked at the pictures. There was one from our private engagement notice and another of me kissing him on New year's eve. "How?"

Derrick shrugged. "They're gossip mags. Everyone knows they exaggerate."

"But everyone believes it!"