Chapter 7

Derrick and I left the community centre and we were left with a conundrum in the car park.

"Do you want me to follow or..." I shrugged.

"How about this. I will follow you to your place then we will go from there."

I smiled softly. "Are you sure?"

Derrick nodded. "You look lovely in that dress."

I blushed. I quickly got in my car and zoomed to my place, getting out and locking it. I saw Derrick pull up in the driveway and I jumped in his little sports car.

"So, where are we going?" I asked innocently.

"No. I am asking questions." Derrick looked at me for a second before putting his eyes back on the road. "You looked really busy. How was selling the cakes?"

Okay. I thought to myself. I can do light talk then. "Good."

"Did you sell any of your stuff?"

I grinned. "Yes. All of it."

Derrick nodded but kept his eyes forward. "How do you know my cousin?"

I frowned. Oh yes, Dinah. "From Kayla's school. Her kids go there too. I didn't know you were related to her."

Derrick laughed. "It just proves it really is a small world."

I agreed.

"So Kayla is your niece?"

"Yes."

"So she is the one you've been having 'dates' with?"

I laughed. "Yes."

After a couple long seconds of silence, I asked again on our destination, but all I got was another compliment.

"White really suits you. You look amazing."

I flushed at it. I noticed the signs on the highway and I clued in on a ball park guess. "Why are we going to the coast?"

Derrick smirked. "It's a surprise."

But not long after that, we exited the highway and after a few quick turns, Derrick parked the car.

I opened the door and straight away I smelt it. I relaxed as I stood, closing my eyes, taking in the scent.

"I smell salt water." I narrowed my eyes at him. Derrick just kept his goofy smile on ad he walked to me and took my hand.

I webbed my fingers with his as I started walking. I felt the cool breeze on my bare back as I heard the waves crashing in the shore.

"The reason I wanted to start this early was because I wanted you to enjoy this while there was still light."

I looked at Derrick. "That's very sweet of you." We walked down a sand dune and I took off my sandals and held them in one hand with the hem of my dress, my other hand holding Derrick's, as we walked along the shoreline. I smiled to myself as I wiggled my toes in the wet sand.

The beach was mainly deserted. I saw a scatter of umbrellas pitched up and a couple gazebos. Then we got closer to one gazebo. It was white and all but one side flap was down. Derrick pulled me towards it.

"Is this for us?" I asked in amazement as I looked inside. There was a large blanket laid out with a few large cushions and a table to kneel at.

On the table was a spread of assortments. There was fresh fruit, salad and vegetables, a small quiche, some wraps and two wine glasses with a bottle of merlot.

"Yes. It wasn't what I initially had in mind, it was a last minute thing." Derrick smiled sheepishly as he offered me to sit.

I sat on a cushion and looked at the clothe walls. That's when I noticed the wires and lights. "You even have fairy lights?" I laughed in surprise.