Chapter 15

October arrived and even though I haven't seen Derrick in months, I speak to him every second or third night, I still ache for him.

I woke up that morning, feeling self pity. I didn't want to get out off bed and I shouldn't need to. It was a lovely Saturday morning, and I had the day off.

I fought with Danny and Kyle, not wanting to take it but they told me to have the day off or I'm fired.

It was an extreme and drastic move, but I backed down and took the stupid day off.

I got up and pulled on a floor length satin night gown as I entered the kitchen. I filled my kettle and placed it on boil.

"Aunty Terra!" I caught Kayla as she flew in to my arms. "It feels like a lifetime ago since I saw you last."

I held on to my niece tightly. "I know darling. Aunty Terra has been working so hard lately." I kissed her forehead and placed her feet back on the ground. Ellie walked in shortly afterwards, her hair a mess as she tried stifling a yawn.

But before anyone could speak, there was a knock on the door. I sipped my coffee and placed it on the bench to answer the door.

"Hello?" I asked as I opened it.

"Miss Howard?" Came the tall teenage boy in front of me.

"Yes?" I was intrigued. It was Saturday morning. Yet I have a delivery?

"Sign here please." I signed the little machine and the boy gave me the parcel.

"Terra?" I heard Ellie yell from the kitchen. "Who is it? "

I thanked the boy and shut my door as I walked back to Ellie. I stared at the box in amazement.

"It's a parcel." Was my awkward smile.

"Well open it!" She clapped. Her smile was huge. I narrowed my eyes.

"What's happening?" I asked. "Who delivered this? Better yet, have you been speaking to Derrick?"

"Maybe." Came her coy smile. Now I was afraid to open it. I wanted to know what was in it. I didn't want to know either. Urgh! Emotions! The choices!

I felt so nervous as I slid a sharp knife under the sticky tape.

"Careful!" Ellie jumped in excitement.

I looked up at her. She knows.

"Whats in here?" I demanded.

Ellie just grinned and shock her head. I went to ask Kayla who was just as excited.

"Oh no. She don't know either. She might blab." Ellie teased.

Kayla scrunched her face up but it only lasted a second. "Come on Aunty Terra!"

With shaky hands I broke through the tape and opened the box. I pulled another box, but smaller. This one had a nice thick ribbon on it.

Hesitantly, I pulled at the red ribbon. My nerves were shot. I slowly lifted the lid and saw the white clothe.

I went to pull that aside too but it didn't stop. I held it in front of me and when my brain registered what it was, I gasped.

By then Kayla had lost interest and left the room. The item was a long chiffon white gown. It had a high split in the leg and a very low V dip at the front. In the middle was a thick gold belt. I saw how the dress shimmered in the morning light. There were tiny diamonds all through the breast piece.

Upon inspection, the dress was an off white, it had multiple straps on the back, the belt had a small clip and pressed against me, the dress hit the floor. Then I saw the shoes. They were open sandal heels that were gold. The heels and straps sparkled.

"Well?" Ellie interrupted my thoughts.

"It's gorgeous."

Ellie smiled proud to herself. "That's from Derrick."

My eyes shot to hers. "How?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

"But when will I ever wear this?" I protested. I love it, but all it will do is collect dust in my cupboard.

"Pfft. Dinner tonight. You, me, Kayla, Mum, Dad, so on."

I haven't seen my parents in so long. They were supposed to come down months ago, but dad had to have his gallbladder removed and then mum came down with the flu. Unknowingly, my heart yearned for them.

A smile appeared on my face.

"You enjoy your birthday. Kayla and I will meet up with you at the restaurant. Dad will text you the time and details."

I felt like a princess. I gently put the dress in the boxes and carried it to my room. I hung up the dress and placed the shoes next to it. I pulled out the decorative box but was disappointed that there was no card in there from Derrick.

But when I looked in the delivery box, I noticed a smaller box. Curiosity took over as I opened it.

Immediately I dropped the box on my bed and covered my mouth. Inside was a gorgeous gold necklace, three gold bangles, a tiny band ring, a thicker band ring, both gold with sapphires, matching earrings and a tiny chain. Then I found the note.

Happy birthday.
Nice try on trying to hide it.
I bet you will look amazing in all this.
I can't wait till I see you again
xxx

I was blown away. Derrick has spoilt me so much.
I felt my eyes water up. I wiped the tears away. I miss Derrick so much, he has treated me like a queen. I'm not use to it. It is nice, having someone spoil me. Then my phone buzzed.

I looked at it and saw the pop up box. Dad. I opened the message.

Happy birthday sweetie. Be ready by 7pm. A uber will collect you.

Uber? I shuddered. I have avoided them since I heard about it. But obviously I'm not driving, and I hate driving in heels.

I tidied up around the house, did a quick vacuum and then got dressed. I decided I may have already been spoilt today, I wanted to spoil myself. Some retail therapy.

I drove to the local shopping centre and headed to some of my favourite shops. With a takeaway coffee and hours of being lost in shops, I was in heaven.

****

The time had very slowly clicked over once I was home. I had sat on my bed and showered, in my underwear, looking at the beautiful jewellery before me. My face was done, my hair was set, all I had to do was get dressed.

After that, I recall sitting in the back seat of a car, looking out the window to a very high class restaurant.

I walked in the front door. The place was empty. No other diners, not even my family. Just staff. I was ushered to my table and at the precise moment, my phone rang.

I hastily snatched it out of my clutch purse and answered the face call. It was mum, but on the screen wasn't just mum, but dad, Ellie and Kayla.

"Surprise!" All four yelled.

"Hey. Where are you all at?" I asked nervously. "Am I at the right restaurant?"

"Hey sweetie." Was dads voice.

"Happy birthday!" They all yelled.

"Have fun." Kayla's little squeak came through.

"Enjoy yourself."

"We love you."

Then the screen went black. Where were they? Are they running late?

I was too confused to ring back. I put the phone and my clutch purse down.

"Wow." I heard from behind me. I turned and saw him. I was face to face with him. He was here.

"Derrick."

Ahhhhhhh

Man, I'm jealous, lol

What did you think of Derrick's surprise?

Let me know hey?

Vote and comment please 😁