Chapter 17

The rest of November came and went and I looked forward to our late night phonecalls and text messages.

Then I tried calling one night and couldn't get through. With a frown, I rolled in to bed and tried to sleep. I was exhausted and it was such a busy night at the restaurant.

After several minutes I heard the familiar ping of my phone.

Sorry, I'm still working, what's up?

Just wondering, do you want to do Christmas together when you get back?

I waited several minutes. But nothing. I had finished watching the episode where there were only 6 contestants left. Gosh the Brits liked to drag out a show. I had worked out that Derrick would return between the 28th December to 8th January after another set back.

I'm sorry I won't be there. If you would like, we can skip it if not then 30th December sounds great.

I sighed. I don't know what that meant. Did he want to just skip it? If he never left for England, would it be different? We've been together in this long distance relationship since, May.

What can I buy someone that has everything?

I don't have everything. I don't have you.

I awed in to my phone. But it still didn't narrow down my list.

I had already wrote down what to buy my parents, Ellie and Kayla. But there was a big fat question mark next to Derrick's name.

It wasn't until late Thursday night a week later when I was flipping through some catalogues with a cup of decaf coffee that an idea flew through my head. At first I blushed but then casted it aside. I couldn't. Or could I?

It's not like we haven't slept together. We've been seeing each other 7 months now. I sighed as I got up to the laundry and put my work clothes through the dryer.

Maybe I can do it.

The following morning I quickly went to the shopping centre before work. I walked into Bras N Things shop. I looked around and finally found what I saw in the junk mail. I pushed aside the bras till I came to my size.

I held the set up to see it and argued with myself about buying it. I groaned inwardly and went to the cashier.

"Good morning." The cashier smiled. I smiled back and handed the set to the lady.

She swiped it and asked if I would like the matching dressing gown. I looked to where she was pointing. There stood a gorgeous gown.

"It will only cost an extra twenty dollars with this set."

I shrugged. "Why not?"

I threw the bags in to my car and left to go to work.

Kayla was on school holidays and it was only two days left till Christmas. I had dropped Kayla off to school vacation care and it made me 5 minutes late. Danny had a slight dig before Kyle came in.

"Come on Danny! I have my sister living with me. Who works full time and every now and then she needs help with her daughter who is only 6. What am I gonna do? Leave her home all by herself for 8 hours? Bring her in?" I glared at him.

"Hey!" Kyle yelled to break us up. "Danny, it's all good. Terra, just go." Kyle grabbed Danny's arm and walked away. I was spitting chips. I've never been late deliberately before, but when I have been late, I've never had a problem.

Ten minutes later, Danny was back. "I don't know what you've done, but Kyle has saved your butt. Yet again." I ignored him and continued my work. I had already pissed Danny off by requesting an extra two days off.