Chapter 22

It was the night of the dinner. I was so nervous. Mum, dad, Ellie and Kayla were sitting on one side of the table.
Derrick's family on the other. I walked in with Derrick, him in his suit, me in a basic dark blue dinner dress. My anxiety was high. Derrick did all the introductions.

"Terra this is my mum, Yvonne, and my father Marcus. Mum, dad, this is Terra." I greet Yvonne and Marcus with simple hellos and how do you do's. I already met Kyle and nodded at him then introduced Derrick to my parents.

We sat and ordered dinner, small discussions took place as I sat next to Derrick holding his hand. I leaned over and talked to Kayla for a bit, asking her how her nan and pop was and her dad.

I quickly excused myself and slipped into the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror as I took the chain off my neck and undid it. I slipped the ring on to my finger before joining the table again.

My fingers weaved in with Derrick's and gave him a slight nod.

Once dinner was finished and our table cleared, Derrick cleared his throat.

"Everyone, I have an announcement."

Ellie and Kyle looked like the cat got the cream as both of our parents stopped talking and looked at my fiance.

Huh, that sounds so weird in my heard. I had never even muttered the word, let alone think of it. I smiled. I liked it.

" As you know I went to England for a TV show..."

"Yes, my boy. We are so proud of you." I heard Yvonne, her accent slightly stronger then Derrick's.

"Terra and I have been seeing each other before I had left."

"You went to England just before that show started." My mother interrupted. I looked at her and nodded.

"Yes I flew in without telling a soul. We brought you all here tonight to..."

I looked at my dad. He was grinning. A slow realisation dawned on me. He knows.

"... That not a soul can know about this. Announce that Terra and I are engaged!"

There were gasps from my mum and Yvonne. Marcus slapped Derrick on the back.

" Well done son."

"Oh my boy! I'm so happy."

"Oh congratulations."

"What's engaged?" Kayla piped in. I laughed at her innocence.

"You knew Kyle?" Yvonne asked.

"Daddy, you knew didn't you?" I looked at my father.

He shrugged. "He rang me weeks ago, asking for your hand."

Derrick's hand came to my waist. "He drilled me." Derrick joked.

"I just wanna make sure one of my favourite girls is happy." Dad grunted. He had realised the attention was on him and it made him uncomfortable.

Eventually everyone left, leaving myself and Derrick alone. I picked up my purse and we walked out of the small private function area. Derrick led me to the car and we drove back to my place.

Derrick's phone rang through the Bluetooth settings and he answered it.

"Hey," Came Kyle's recognisable voice. "Just checked my emails, that document came through. I'll have it printed and ready for you to sign in the morning."

Derrick and Kyle were taking Danny off as an associate. We had a total of seven sexual harassment claims through the restaurant alone. And I knew what Derrick now had planned for the rest of the night.