Chapter 20

I nervously walked into the office. It was decked out full of magazines and cookbooks. Shelves had some awards on it, decorative knick knacks and there was a tray with crystal glasses.

There were a few filing cabinets and then a couple small desks, followed by a bigger one. I saw two sets of eyes trained on me. Kyle stood up and walked towards me.

He closed the door and hugged me. My eyes widened as I froze. "Welcome to the family."

At first I was confused but then it came back. Yes, Derrick and I are engaged. "Oh, umm, thank you." I threw on a small smile.

"Yes I told him." Derrick swaggered towards me, "that's enough." Derrick growled and pushed Kyle off. Derrick pressed his lips against mine.

"I'll give you some privacy." Kyle cleared his thought and slipped out off the room.

I kissed Derrick back as he held a hand on my waist and another on the back of my neck. "I've missed you."

I sighed in to his mouth. "Me too." We stood in each other's arms for several minutes. "Oh yes. There is a reporter here to see you."

Derrick groaned. "Oh crap. I forgot. I agreed to an interview for their new years edition." Derrick held me closer for a second then pulled away. He placed a kiss on my head.

I said goodnight, knowing Derrick would be in for several hours more. "I'll see you in the morning."

I walked out, having a second attempt to leave. I found the waitress from earlier. "Let the reporter know that Mr Caine is ready for her." I finally managed to leave the restaurant and got in my car.

I was exhausted from today. It is so hard forcing concentration on my work. I've never had to do it before. But now, Derrick Caine consumes my thinking.

I got home and went straight for the shower. I let the hot water run down me for several minutes. It felt so good. I never wanted to leave. But grudgingly, I had to. I was expecting Ellie home today.

I pulled on some raggy jeans and an off the shoulder shirt. I walked into the kitchen barefooted. I rummaged through my cupboards, trying to find what to cook.

Finally I pulled out my iron pan and peeled a couple large potatoes. After cutting and pepping, I stewed them in some garlic and cream and stuffed the potatoes with mince, onion, spinach and ricotta. With a few pinches of some herbs, I set it to a simmer as I made myself a glass of water.

I heard my door open then close. "Terra? I'm home."

I jumped from my stool and ran to the door. "Ellie!" I hugged her before she could drop her bag. Her arms wrapped around me. "I've missed you! So much has happened!"

Ellie laughed. "You too, huh?"

I released my sister. "What happened?"

"Come to the kitchen. I'm exhausted from that drive and I'm hanging for a coffee."

I let her go in front as she made me and herself coffees.

I sat on my bar stool waiting patiently. Ellie sat down. "Well you remember Callum?"

"Um yes! Kayla's father." I was instantly intrigued.

"Well, when we agreed to that break all those years ago, but we never went further. And how Callum paid child support, more then he was meant to. And every year, he sent money to Kayla's back account for her to buy presents and whatever...?"

I nodded my head as I drank my coffee.

"Well as I arrived at Seth and Tina's for Kayla to spend the week there, Callum was there."

"No!" My eyes widened.

"I was just as surprised! Kayla hasn't seen him in a couple years, even though they spoke regularly. She recognised him as soon as we pulled up. I don't think I turned the car off and she was out the door screaming daddy."

"He was out the front before we got there. He waited till Kayla was in his arms then threw her in the air, commenting how much she has grown."

I finished my coffee and placed it down in front of me. "What happened?"

"He hugged me!"

My eyes widened again. "What?"

Ellie nodded. "Yeah, acted like nothing had happened between us. Like he had only gone away for a week instead of several years."

"What had Seth and Tina say about all this?"

Ellie shrugged. "He's their son. Their granddaughters father. They were happy to have us. Don't get me wrong. Kayla didn't leave his side."

"Wow."

Ellie nodded, slightly staring off. "But once Kayla went to sleep after dinner, we talked. I was so happy that Kayla could spend Christmas with her father for the first time in forever, but I was so angry about his whereabouts."

"But he rang her every birthday, Christmas, father's day, weekends."

"I know."

"So.... What did you talk about?"

Ellie was silent for several long minutes. "Us."

"Wait... What?"

"He wants to work us out." Ellie sighed again. "I told him I had to work me out. I lied."

"So what now?" I asked. "Don't get me wrong, I like the bloke, he didn't do any wrong by me personally except hurting you."

"I said he couldn't come back in our lives like nothing happened. It's been six years. What if I had moved on? I thought I was over him."

I smiled sympathetically at my sister. "Time does heal wounds. You do what is best for you and Kayla."

"I do want Kayla to have her father back in her life. But I didn't tell him to leave. I didn't tell him to never see her again. You know me. I am one that always believe children should have both parents there."

I nodded in agreement. "True. He did leave on his own accord."

"He is moving back. He was out at whoop whoop for years, working in the mines. But now he said that he has saved up enough for us to start over. He did it for us. Then he asked if he remembered why we split. I shrugged. I couldn't remember."

I frowned. It was so long ago.

"We were struggling. We had next to no money. I was working full time, he was too. But we weren't going anywhere. Then when I fell pregnant, money was even tighter. So it was money. He believed money was the problem. "

"So he reckons money will fix the problem?"

Ellie nodded. "But I'm not ready to open up to him and shrug off the past. He still hurt me when he upped and left us. But Kayla was so happy seeing him."

"So what did you do?"

Ellie pursed her lips together. "I said we will see. But I'm not rushing am I?"

"So a date here and there?" I arched my eyebrow.

"Yeah, more of a family outing here or there."

I shook my head. I can't judge her for rushing in to things. "I don't think you are rushing in to things."

Ellie smiled. "Thanks."

It was several minutes before I spoke. "Umm, speaking off rushing into things..." I clenched my jaw in anticipation. "Promise you won't say a single word to a soul, including Kayla, mum and dad."

Ellie nodded. Now she was intrigued. I pulled out my necklace and whipped it off over my head then handed it to Ellie. "I'm engaged."

There's nothing like a good catch up with your sister!

I'm due for one actually

So both of the girls have their heads filled with doubt.

Enjoy the chapter! More coming.

Please vote/comment/follow/share

Thank you