Chapter 14

I had avoided Derrick for the remaining time he had here until he asked me to drive him to the airport.

But it was all a play act. He had picked me up from my house, he had a driver. The car moved as soon as Derrick pulled me in and shut the door.

"What are you doing?" I shrieked as I sat on the seat.

"You are avoiding me."

Well done detective. I didn't answer though.

"Why?"

I sat there staring out the windows.

"Terra? Why are you avoiding me?"

"Because I saw your reaction when I told you I wasn't pregnant." I snapped.

"What? Oh goodness. Yes I was disappointed at first because you would make an excellent mum, and that would give me something to tie to you for ever and to remind me how lucky I am and how I would fight tooth and nail to keep you, but then I realised that you need your career first still and I keep forgetting how fresh our relationship really is. "

I sat there gobsmacked. How the hell, no what the hell just happened. I felt myself wanting to melt in his arms, but my stupid unfiltered mouth took over.

"What if I'm not ready for a baby?" I snapped at Derrick." What if I'm not ready for a baby and you are? Would you respect my wishes? We have only been dating for like three weeks, a month tops. Would you be willing to drop everything for hospital appointments? I don't want a baby right now! I have a career!"

"What if the tables were turned?" Derrick growled at me. "What if you wanted a baby and I didn't? Would you respect my wishes?"

We glared at each other. But I backed down first as soon as I felt the first threat of tears. "What are we doing?" I asked Derrick, wiping away the tears.

"Fighting over an imaginary baby. One that might or might not ever exist." Derrick held my hand. I looked up in to his face.

"I'm sorry. But I want to be selfish for a little bit longer." I whispered.

Derrick held me. "And you are entitled to be selfish."

"I'm not a selfish person, I give and give, but when it's my career..."

"It's okay. I understand." I felt the soft kiss on my temple. "But this here will be the hardest for me. Letting you go. Not seeing you for months. And if you were pregnant, I will be the selfish one because even if we weren't together, I would still get to see you every now and then. That is better than never."

I felt the tears well up. We keep speaking of a hypothetical baby. But I knew what Derrick was trying to process.

I saw the airport getting closer. This is it. Derrick is leaving.

"How long are you gone for now?"

" It's looking toward five months."

I nodded quietly. End of October, November, Derrick should be back. My heart sunk. "OK. I knew this day would come." I kissed him softly. "Have a safe flight." Came my whispered tone.

The car stopped at the drop off bay. Derrick got out and took his suitcase. I looked through the windows.

"Wait." I told the driver as soon as I felt the car move. I jumped out and yelled out to Derrick. He turned and let go of his suitcase as he caught me and I held him tight. My face nuzzled in to his chest.

"Terra." I looked up at Derrick. "I'll be back. I promise."

I nodded as the tears fell. Derrick squeezed me and kissed me hard. I felt dizzy yet so high. We reluctantly pulled apart as he picked up his suitcase and I slowly walked to the car.