Chapter 2

Kayla helped me set the table as I heard keys jingling.

She dropped everything and went running. "Mummy!" I heard her squeal.

I served out lamb tagine for dinner as I sat at the table. My sister, Ellie walked in and greeted me.

"Oh my nostrils. This smells amazing!" She smiled. I beamed at Kayla.

"The little chef here helped tonight."

Kayla smiled proudly as she sat at her spot at the table.

Ellie took a mouthful and I heard her groan. "Oh Kayla. Keep this up and I'm gonna have to get two jobs to put you through the same school as your aunty."

Kayla looked at me all excited and I winked at her. "Nonsense, Ellie. You know I will teach her if she wants."

Ellie took another mouthful. "Someone has to teach her. She has to look after her mumma when she is old and frail." Ellie joked.

We sat in silence as we ate then Kayla piped up. "Mummy."

"Yes baby?"

Kayla grabbed a slice of bread and dipped it in her remains. "Can we go somewhere on Sunday?"

Ellie thought about it. "Of course baby. I don't have work. Where would you like to go?"

Kayla shrugged. "The pool?"

Ellie smiled. "If the weather is good."

Kayla then called out to me. "Are you coming too, Aunty Terra?"

I smiled and was about to agree when I suddenly remembered my news. "Oh, darling, I can't. I have a meeting."

Ellie frowned. "Since when? You never have attended a meeting before?"

I smiled. "Since I got promoted!"

Ellie screamed. "Oh my goodness! Terra! That's marvellous!"

I nodded as Ellie grabbed my hands and dragged me up. We were holding hands and screaming and jumping. Poor Kayla thought we have gone mad!

"I am now a Pastry Chef!" I beamed.

"Oh Terra!" Ellie smiled at me. "You are doing it! You are living your dream!"

"Oh, I should ring mum." I placed the napkin on the table and left the room. Ellie yelled out behind me she will clean up.

I took out my phone from my pocket and dialled my mums number. Technically, she is my step mum, Ellie being my step sister, but she raised me since I was only a couple months old. Dad and I came into their lives when Ellie was 2.

"Hey, mum. Guess what?" I asked in excitement. I heard the squeal on the other end as I held the phone away from my ear laughing.

"You got it! Oh, Georgie! Terra finally got it!" Mum called out to my dad.

****

Two hours later I got off the phone to my parents. As usual we did the rounds. Me, then Ellie, then Kayla back to me.

Exhausted I laid on my bed, finding the will power to get on it properly and cover myself with a blanket.

But my phone tinged. I opened it and saw Mark's name. My heart stopped as I read the message.

I had jumped from being a chef de partie or a line cook for main meals to a pastry chef. Even though I studied hard at both being a chef and a pastry chef, I felt I had achieved a lot already for only being twenty one.

I opened the message and read it.

Hey Terra. Sunday 7am. Discussing menu changes. Have a list of pastries, cakes and desserts ready to go that might make the cut for new menu. The final picks have to be approved by Mr Caine. Have samples ready by 5pm Sunday.
Will discus pay wages too.