Chapter 21

"Say what?" she gasped.

"I know." I squeaked. "We have only spent a week or two together, technically."

"No! You have both been seeing each other for what, just under a year? I believe that's appropriate."

I sat there silently as Ellie looked at the giant ring. "It's huge!"

I nodded.

"Why aren't you happy?" She asked. "Oh God, are you pregnant? What no, not possible. Did he mail this to you?"

Then suddenly Gemma joined us. Ellie's eyes lit up! "He did get you the dog!" She jumped down and patted the puppy. Then she looked up at me. Her eyes narrow. "How? He rang me weeks ago and asked what you liked, how did he do all this in England?"

I was slightly confused. "Oh. You don't know?" Finally, I knew more then she did. They both have been conspiring behind my back, I assumed she knew.

"Know what?"

"After mum and dad left on Christmas eve, I went to bed and woke up in the wee hours of Christmas day. I heard noises, I thought some one was breaking in. I grabbed my bat and snuck downstairs. Then I received a few surprises."

"Really?"

I nodded, a grin from ear to ear. "Yes. You left here with a basic Christmas tree up. I came down nine hours later and this place looked like a winter wonderland. And as I was sussing out if this was really my house, Derrick was right there!" I pointed to the spot where I saw him that morning.

"No! "

I nodded. "Yes! It was amazing! He gave me Gemma, " I patted the fluffy dog. "A photo of us, and some tickets to comicon."

Ellie looked shocked. "Really?"

I giggled like a school girl.

"What did you get him?"

Suddenly my face reddened. "You don't wanna know." I whispered.

"Urgh. Don't tell me!" Ellie scrunched her face up.

"Then he proposed."

"How?"

I smiled again. "You don't want to know."

Ellie pretended to puke. "No, I don't."

"So mum and dad don't know?"

I shook my head. "We are planning to do a dinner with our parents and siblings. But we aren't publicly announcing it yet."

"Oh the media will be all over this!"

"I know." I groaned. Then suddenly I remembered dinner. "Here. Have some food." I smiled as I dished out her dinner. We sat quietly eating. Her exhaustion catching up. Ellie rinsed her plate off and excused herself to go to bed.

I cleaned up the kitchen. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Whipping it out I answered it.

"Hello." I smiled.

"Hey. I'm leaving here in an hour. Would you like me to come over?" Derrick's voice came through.

"I would love that." We said farewell to each other and I nestled in to the couch with a cookbook I brought a few days ago.

Then I started what I usually do, lead pencil twirling in my fingers, I read each recipe, finding which one intrigued me and jotted notes down on the pages.

I was only four pages in when I heard the knock on my door. I got up and adjusted my shirt. I felt the butterflies floating in my stomach. It was nearly 8pm and the restaurant would have been at its peak in customers.