Chapter 13

I had spent a good solid 2 hours on the phone to mum, relaying what I did in England before I bided her goodnight.

I had been back in Australia for three days now and after copping a serving from Ellie then Kayla about my extra long absence, I served it from mum too.

I laid on my bed in exhaustion. I've been to work with Derrick, the place is looking real good. We had kept our relationship on the quiet side while there, being so formal to each other. I asked him not to say anything. I didn't tell him why but he knew the reason.

I didn't want my co workers thinking I was using him for promotions. Or to keep my job.

Derrick had been so attentive and he dropped me home yesterday night, where I slept for a good 16 hours. I only happened to intersect Ellie because I needed a drink, not realising that it was 4pm. Yet after getting an earful then playful jokes from Ellie and giving her and my niece souvenirs, I knew I had to listen to one more person.

Now at nine at night, I just wanted to cuddle in to my pillow and doze back off. Talk about jet lag.

****

"Terra, this is Kyle and Danny." Derrick came to me and introduced me to his business partners. I knew Kyle was also his brother.

I placed the knife down and patted the crumbs of my hands on to my apron and shook there hands.

"Hi. How are you?" I asked them politely. The restaurant opens tomorrow and we have been slaving in here, getting preparations done.

"They will be in charge while I come and go. Kyle has set up base here full time now."

I nodded as I returned to my work. Derrick walked on to the next bench with Kyle and Danny.

Is Derrick going some where? I asked myself. Did he get the job? He hasn't told me anything. But I kept my head down as I scraped the cooled chocolate of my marble bench.

The trio eventually disappeared in to the office and slowly, the kitchen staff dimmed. After two hours with only me left, I tipped my head up and saw Kyle and Danny walk out. They nodded to me as I sat on a stool, drinking a latte and I returned the gesture.

In front of me was one of my recipe books from when I was 16. In it was a recipe i created for champagne mousse. I forgot the exact way I had to make it but I did remember the trick I had to do. I had only wrote done in note form from another recipe in there.

I had the result in front of me, already chilled, ready to be stored, as I flipped through my old notepad.

"How are we going?"

I looked up and saw an exhausted Derrick in front of me. I perked up. "Good." Came my smile as I gave him my coffee mug.

Derrick generously took it as I picked up a spoon of the mousse. "Try this, tell me what you think?" Before he could utter a word, I shoved the spoon in his mouth.

"White chocolate mousse." He mumbled in surprise. "It's good, but what's so extraordinary about it?" Derrick swallowed his mouthful.

"What for it." I patiently mumbled as I sat back on the stool. I watched his face for from a frown to confusion to delight.

"Was that..?"

"Champagne after taste? Why yes it was." I giggled as I read another old recipe of mine.

"That was delicious." I saw Derrick look around.

"It's okay, we are the only ones here." I confirmed. As soon as the last word left my mouth, I felt Derrick's hands on my waist and his lips on mine.

"How about I smear that mousse all over you and lick it off." Derrick groaned in my mouth. I smiled at the idea as I wrapped my legs around his waist.

"As much as that sounds tempting, I'm gonna have to give you a raincheck." I sighed as Derrick pulled away.

"But I leave in two days. I need as much of you as I can take."

I raised my eyebrows. "Two days?" Derrick frowned then groaned. "Shoot. I didn't tell you. I got the job." He grinned childishly at me.

"That's wonderful, but why are you leaving so early?"

"It's part of my contract. I have a few radio, TV and magazine interviews. Plus they want to shoot it as soon as possible."

I smiled widely. "That's marvellous. I'm so happy for you."

"Come home and celebrate with me." Derrick held my hands and wiggled his eyebrows at me, making me laugh.

"I can't celebrate the way you want to. I probably can't even give you goodbye sex." I groaned as I stood and put my book on the table.

"Why not?" Derrick pouted. My insides melted. God help me. He is so delicious.

"Because right now I have a different celebration party of my own happening." I saw the look on Derrick's face. Was that confusion? "I have a congratulations, you're not pregnant party happening"

Derrick's face changed and I saw the flicker off emotions. "Oh, right."

I kissed him on the forehead. "Sorry baby." I picked up my bag and walked out to my car. As much as I wanted to go home with him, it felt so good to gain a little control back in my life once Hurricane Derrick came into it.

But his face was still on my mind. Those emotions that jumped from one to another.

I drove home chewing my lip, thinking of the last five minutes at work. I showered quickly and laid on bed, letting sleep over come me.

And I was just on the cusp of it too when I realised what Derrick's emotions played. His first emotion wasn't relief, that was last. His first emotion was disappointment.

The first part of this chapter where Terra got ripped by her mum had me smiling, as I had my dad in mind. He usually rings up and rips me one every now and then when I go off the grid. So at least once every few weeks 😂

What did we think of the last few paragraphs?

Vote and comment

Thank you