Chapter 3

After three hours of discussion and business, we had a good bye to Mark, everyone left and eventually since I was now the head pastry chef, and no one under me, it took me longer to choose the top five desserts plus cakes for the coffee bar.

Derrick walked with me to the door. "How do you feel about being promoted?"

Annoyed I wanted to say. "Disappointed." it was a truth.

Derrick frowned as he walked with me down the street. "Why, may I ask?"

I thought for a second. "I feel like I didn't earn it."

I looked at Derrick as he spoke. "Do what Colin did and you will be demoted. But I have seen your work. You deserve it. Mark has spoken very highly off you."

I looked at the cement beneath us as we strolled further.

"You have achieved so much. Especially for your age." Derrick smiled at a passing person in courtesy. "Prove to me that you are better then Colin and you will go far."

"Really?" I asked intrigued. Derrick swayed me down a quite street and into a small intimate restaurant.

I suddenly snapped out of my career day dream. "Where are we?" I asked. I got in over my head, Derrick giving me ideas about my future, making me feel slightly lost within his accent. "I should go."

Derrick directed me to a table. "Nonsense. Sit." he motioned for a waiter and pointed up two fingers. "This is one of my smaller restaurants."

I cautiously sat. "So what do you mean I could go far?"

The waiter returned with a garlic focaccia and two black coffees.

"well, prove to me that you're not wasting my time and I will personally train you."

****
That night my head was still swimming. I laid in bed, lost in thought. Derrick was willing to train me! This was so exciting. The restaurant is closed for the next month and I am still getting paid but as an executive chef!

I had the month off and I didn't know what to do with myself. I wanted to shout to the world but I felt drained, restless. I did tell my parents about today and mum was so happy for me and dad grunted in approval.

Mum said they were coming up soon for a visit. I looked at the time. 2am. Why can't I sleep? Was it nerves? Excitement?

I had to go in at the end of the week once everything inside was removed and demolished to see if I approve of where my work bench and office will be.

I tossed and turned all night. Eventually I gave up and went to the kitchen and made myself some chamomile tea.

I sat at the kitchen bar and flipped through a magazine with the lights on low.

Before I knew it, it was 5 in the morning. I went to my room and got dressed. I slipped out the front and went for a jog.

I was four blocks away from home and I slowed down at the restaurant. I had no intentions on stopping here, I only wanted to do a couple laps around my block, but I went straight ahead, into the busy part where cars were already zooming by on the street.

I looked around and saw a surprised Derrick as he opened the main door. "What are you doing here, Terra?"

"I wasn't stopping by." I blurted then blushed. "I mean, I couldn't sleep so I went for a jog. I wasn't going to stop here."

Derrick let me in and made me a coffee. "I'm sorry. I'm intruding. I couldn't sleep. My first job was here. I have been here for four years and now her guts are getting ripped out." I widened my eyes. "I'm sorry. I tend to babble."