Chapter 1

Kathryn

"Ms. Stevens, I need you to give room 372 their medications. Can you do that or do you need assistance?" Mrs. Hall asked me.

I looked her up and down. She was much shorter than me, at least by a foot. She had sprouting gray hair that was obvious to the eye. Her blue scrubs highlighted her pale skin. Ms. Hall was my supervisor. I can't stand her. The first day I got here she treated me like complete shit.

"Has anyone seen our new RN Kathryn Stevens?" The short white lady announced.

I pushed through the crowd. A bunch of other RN's stood in the way. I looked around and saw that none of them looked like me. They were all old white women. I slipped my hair behind my ear.

The short white lady looked at me like I was crazy. She cleared her throat as I approached her. Everyone got quiet. All attention was on us.

"Excuse me Ma'am, patients are not allowed back here. Chloe can you take this lovely patient back to he-"

"I am Kathryn Stevens ma'am. I am the new RN," I announced.

I pulled out my ID badge. It clearly displayed my name, age, and job. She looked at me with a disgusted face. I kept calm though. I knew this was about to be my job from hell.

"Chloe, can you run this in the system really quickly? Ms. Stevens-"

"It's Mrs. Stevens," I interrupted.

Chloe came back into the meeting room. She handed me back my ID card. I took it with a soft smile. A soft 'thank you' slipped from my house. She nodded.

"Twenty two year old Kathryn Stevens. New graduate from Alcorn. She's married to our very own doctor he-" Chloe began.

I rolled my eyes, "I'm getting a divorce."

"Alright Ms. Stevens. We do not tolerate interruptions here. You let everyone finish before you speak. It's rude. Considering this is your first day, I'll let you pass. Now everyone welcome Ms.
Stevens," She announced.

Quiet greetings erupted throughout the room. I waved my hand. A black lady strolled into the room. A wide grin grew on my face. Finally, I had some type of representation.

"Let me find you someone to work under for a little while. They can show you the procedures and things," The lady said.

She scanned the room. Her eyes landed on the only black lady. She smiled and motioned her over. The lady looked at me and laughed. I could understand her pain right now.

"This is Chanel. She's been working here for years. I'm positive you'll be in good hands Ms. Stevens"

"Mrs. Stevens," I said at the same time the lady said, "Chantelle, Ms. Hall."