Chapter 12

KATHRYN

A cold breeze swooped my office as I sat in my desk. Since I've divorced Darnell, I have to work two jobs. Darnell tried to let me take half off his bank account, which was three times my annual salary, but I didn't. People were already saying I was a gold digger, and that's the last thing I want to be. The last thing I need to be really.

I worked as a manager for a gun violence campaign. It was little pay but it got me around. Of course the head of the organization thought that I was perfect for a spoke person and organizer. I didn't really like doing the work so I hired an assistant. That's why I don't get paid much because I give almost half my pay to her. She's a college student so I understand her struggles.

There was a knock on my door. It opened slightly. I smiled and she preceded to walk in. She stood up in front of my desk.

"I have a few things for you today,"She spoke softly.

"I had a long day at work. Please let it be short."

"Well Ciara and Russell called. They will perform at the fundraiser as long as you're speaking. TMZ is going to pull the story of your mother as long as you speak at the fundraiser as well. Oh and Michelle called. She wants you at her book signing to meet her author. It's tomorrow but we can always cancel,"She flipped the page on her clipboard. "At 1 you have a meeting with Principal Toledo to speak about a possible event at the school. Also Oprah is here today with the cast of Queen Sugar. They want you to make an appearance. Finally at 8 you have to sit down with CNN for a live news report,"Lillian said.

"What the hell does CNN want? I already did like 3 segments with them."

"They want you to speak about having a gun pulled on you last week. You're a very hot topic Ms. Smith."

I rolled my eyes. Some bitch pulled a gun on me last week in Hobby Lobby. I reacted in a calm manner because I'm a RN. I have to act calm in all situations. I simply got her to put the gun down by talking to them.

She was mad because I was the only one who survived. Her sister, a patient, passed away. She thought I was to blame. I had to assure her that I didn't choose to be here. Lord knows if I had to I wouldn't.

"Cancel Queen Sugar, bring Oprah. Tell Toledo we have to reschedule, I have to get to work at 10. Tell CNN that it can't be a live segment. Ill invite them
to my house."

"Gotcha! Anything else Ms. Smith?"

"Please call me Kat. Did you hear back from Kehlani and J Cole?"

"Kehlani is pregnant. She can't perform at the fundraiser, but she said she will still show face. J Cole's assistant hasn't respo-"

"I'll handle that."

"You sure? His assistant is a friend of mine."

"And I'm his friend. He'll answer me don't worry."

She nodded and left swiftly. I picked up the phone and searched for Jermaine's name. The door opened back up and Lillian walked in with a bouquet of tulips.

"Darnell just sent these...trash?"She asked.

She already knew the routine. I threw away everything Darnell sent here. We're divorced for a reason. I don't want any ties with him, but he doesn't seem to feel the same way.

I nodded. She smiled and closed the door. Lillian was a great assistant. Ever since the night at Chick-Fil-A I couldn't stop thinking about this girl. She really thought something of me. She was very hardworking, so I paid her a lot more than Chick-Fil-A could ever. Now she can pay for college and other stuff. I have some strings pulled to get her a grant. The phone ring loudly in my ear.