Chapter 22

KATHRYN

The lights dimmed as J Cole stepped onto the stage. I stood to the side smiling. Andre was obsessing over seeing his favorite rapper. My celebrity friends could tell he wasn't accustomed to this life style.

It was a culture shock to me as well. I grew up in the hood. When I went to college it was crazy. I wasn't used to not having as many relatives and friends around. Then when I met Darnell, I had a huge culture shock. Since Darnell was the best surgeon in our state, every celebrity saw him. He made a boatload of money, so we lived in a neighborhood made for celebrities. I knew a lot of celebrities from my time with Darnell, but ever since the shooting I've met more and more.

Andre squeezes my hand as J Cole rapped Deja Vu.  He was such a fan girl. I giggled and watched Jermaine prance around stage. He was a very good performer, and the crowd was loving it.

"Now y'all know I've been fighting to for gun control since day one! I saw some terrible shit in my life. My friends was dropping like flies because nobody wanna do something about guns,"He took a deep breath. His eyes trailed to me. "Kat can you come out here?"

I shook my head. Andre looked at me like I was crazy. He pushed me onto the stage. There I was facing almost three thousand people at once. I gave a small smile and walked towards Jermaine. I put my hand over the microphone.

"Jermaine! This isn't my show,"I whisper yelled.

He chuckled and brought the mic back to his face, "Y'all this my girl Kathryn. She organized all of th-"The crowd erupted with cheers and claps. "If you didn't know, and I hope she don't mind me telling y'all, she was in a terrorist attack a few months back. Kathryn got shot in the fucking chest and neck but she still survived!" The crowd erupted with more cheers. "I say all of this to conclude with, Kathryn you're amazing. You did something not even I could do. You continue to stick up for what you believe in. You got so much potential girl, and I'm happy to help you fulfill it. Y'all give it up for my girl Kathryn fucking Smith!"

I wiped the tears streaming from my eyes. Truth is I was doing a lot. I was doing so fucking much since the shooting happened, I haven't had time to think for myself. Then I've been trying to campaign mental illness awareness due to Darnell's and Andre's cases.

"Harper..."Andre spoke softly.

I turned around and walked him walk onto the stage. He held the microphone in his hand, but it wasn't steady. Jermaine smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"What's going on?"I whispered.

A huge smile ceased his face, "I don't know."

"Jermaine if something happen, you're career is over."

Andre stopped in front of me. He had on a some blue jeans with a white button down. I accessorized him with a khaki jacket. He looked very nice. He was about to throw on a t-shirt but I wouldn't let him. This was more of a formal event for the both of us. We had to present ourselves in front of almost 10,000 people tonight and tomorrow. I refused for TMZ to shame us for our outfits.

"I gotta correct ya J Cole. This ma wife,"Andre spoke into the microphone.

"Wife?"I asked kind of loudly.

The crowd erupted in laughter. Jermaine shot them a look and they quickly stopped laughing. Andre was shaking very badly. He was bad in front of crowds, so I wasn't surprised.

"Kathryn eva since ya walked through that hospital doo' I knew ya were important ta me. Ya took a bullet fa me. If it wasn't fa ya I would've been dead and gon baybeh. I thank God fa that e'eryday. When ya was in a coma I asked God ta let me see ya once more. I had ta hea' ya voice. I had ta say thank ya. When ya woke up, I was excited. I couldn't wait ta be ya friend. I couldn't wait fa ya ta keep ya promise ya Amarah. Ya neva broke ya promise. Ya neva disappointed Marah. I thank ya all tha time fa that. I don't know where I would be without ya Kathryn. God knows I would've given up by na'. Ya taught me a lot within tha past yea'. I thank ya fa that e'eryday baybeh. I want ta make a promise ta ya Kathryn."

He pulled out a small black box from his pocket. Tears streamed down my eyes as I smiled.

"Andre baby,"I mumbled.

"I promise ta be hea' fa ya. I promise ta fulfill ya e'ery need baybeh. I promise I'll be e'erything ya could eva ask fa Kathryn. If I could do e'erything again, I would take the bullet fa ya. I would take a bullet fa ya right now baybeh. I promise I would do it,"He dropped down to one knee. "With all that being said, baybeh, would ya marry me?"

I nodded my head as I threw my arms around his neck. I held him tight, because I know there was a time he wanted to leave. I held him tight, because I know he might leave again. I held him tight, because I loved him. I don't know what I would do without the other half to my heart.

The crowd aww'ddd and oooooh'd as he placed the ring on my finger. It was beautiful. He chuckled as I held it up to my eyes.

"Give it up for the engaged!"Jermaine shouted.

Andre pulled me off of the stage. Jermaine performed his new song Middle Child. I stared at Andre. He was smiling so hard, it was hurting my face. He squeezed my hand.

"I fucking luh ya."

"Andre! You just proposed to me! We're getting married!"I screamed.

"I kna. I want tha wedding in NOLA. I want ta inv-"

"No it's going to be here. I'll have Tamar perform-"

"Na, we havin it in NOLA. I already got this planned out baybeh. All ya gotta do is show up."

"I gotta call my friends and tell them!"

"Na ya don't."

Sure enough I didn't. Zamia and Riley were sprinting to me. They both had on no shoes and Zamia's curly hair was tied back. I giggled. Of course my friends would be here. It wouldn't have been an proposal without them.

"Bitch! It's about time!"Zamia shouted in my ear.

"Hush!"Riley hit her hand. "I'm so excited for y'all! I can't believe you're getting married hoe, I mean proper woman of God."

I giggled, "You guys knew?"

"You really think Andre would pick out a ring like that? Girl he was trying to give you one of them raggedy ass rings from the gum ball machine. I was like No sir, we going all out. Ain't no 25¢ ring. So I helped him pick out the ring."

"I helped plan all of this. He was so scared to talk to Jer-"

"I was not scared. I just ain't wanna bother the rich."

"As I was saying, he was scared to talk to Jermaine. I planned all of this out so it would be nice."

"Um excuse me...I proposed, not y'all,"Andre spoke softly.

I giggled, "Well thank y'all for assisting my fiancé."

"Okay I'm going to introduce Riley to Meek fine ass. We'll see y'all later,"Zamia dragged Riley off the backstage.

Andre grabbed my hand and placed a kiss on my hand.

"We're in this foreva na baybeh."

"I wouldn't have it any other way."