Chapter 21

KATHRYN

The mess around me made me cringe. I started to sweep up the glass as I heard the carpet being ripped up. It's been a whole week, and the house still looked a hot ass mess.

I walked to the window and saw Andre directing the men. I giggled, and waved at him. He winked at me. He continued to shout at the men for doing their job wrong. I rolled my eyes. Andre was really good at handiwork but never amazing.

Ever since reading Darnell's letter yesterday, I've returned to my previous self. His letter put me at ease. Andre didn't know about the letter, but he wasn't complaining about the change.

"Baybeh, I ordered tha black carpet. Ya know we can't keep tha white carpet clean."

I cut my eyes at him, "I told you beige Andre."

"I'm kidding," He chuckled. "They gon put it in lata on this afternoon. I still think we shoulda gotten hard wood."

"Look at our dining room. The floor is scuffed up. I refuse to let our living room look like that."

He raised an eyebrow, "I know ya ain't talking. The first week we moved in ya spilled red wine on ma floo'."

"That was Marah,"I lied.

"Ah ah! Don't blame stuff on ma baybeh."

I giggled. Truth is I told Amarah I would buy her a doll house if she said she did it. Needless to say she did, and now she has a three piece Barbie dream house, that has a pool. It was an arm and leg, but it was worth it. I loved seeing her happy.

"Phrey bringin ha ova' hea lata. He bringin Alayah ta'. He want ha ta meet ya befo' ya lil fundraisa ta'night."

"How is she holding up?"

He grabbed the milk out the fridge, "Not ta good. She'on speak a lot."

I swept the glass into the dustpan. I loved Phrey and PJ, but I know they didn't think she would get accustomed to a new home within a week. Foster care fucks up most children.

Zamia was in foster care when she was young. Then she got adopted, and it still took her forever to get used to everything. My dad did everything in his power to keep her, but he couldn't support a family of four. Her parents eventually broke down and let her go to our school. She had so many opportunities to go to a private school.

Zamia was teased everyday for having white parents when she was as dark as me. Her parents loved her though. They gave her any and everything she could imagine. They even gave me things when my father couldn't provide. I still think of them as my second pair of parents.

"Well maybe us girls might paint our toes," I looked down at my toes. "I need some color."

"Ya need some new toes baybeh. Them thangs look like anotha species."

I slid my Nike slide off my foot. I lifted my leg and placed my feet on his shoulder.

"Kathryn, get ya feet off me. I'm tryna eat ma cereal."

I walked closer to him. I lifted my leg back over his shoulder. My hips were in line with his hips. A small smirk grew over his lips.

"What?"

"I'an kna ya was this flexible,"He held my leg and gently thrusted his hips.

I blushed, "Andre stop."

"Andre stawwwppp..."he mocked.

I rolled my eyes and put my leg down. He was such a ass. I grabbed a spoon out of the drawer. I dipped it into his bowl of cereal and grabbed a few Cinnamon Toast Crunch.