Chapter 18

KATHRYN

"Andre I-"

My phone blared, "Shot Clock," by Ella Mai. I looked at the screen and saw Phrey's name across the top.

"It's Phrey,"I mumbled.

Andre grabbed my phone and placed it behind his back. I reached for it but he didn't budge. He stood there with glossy eyes.

"Ya really gon ignore ma question?"

"Doesn't Phrey have Amarah?" I asked, "What if somethings wrong?"

"If somethin was wrong he woulda called me,"Andre mumbled. "Na answer ma question."

I looked down at my feet. This was the first time we've ever been so close. Who knows if I'll have another chance to tell him how I feel?

"Honestly Andre, I was just doing my job. My job as a RN is to protect the patients. You know I don't half ass any job. I put my all into my work, so that means I put my all into you,"I explained. His face fell into a deep sadness. "I'll continue putting my all into you. Obviously this wasn't a coincidence Andre. We fell into each other's path for a reason. Maybe we're supposed to fall in love. Maybe we're supposed to co-parent. Maybe I might do it again. Maybe you might do it for me. You're in my life for a reason."

"So, that mean ya like me ta?"

"I just got out of a terrible divorce. I don't want a re-" I stopped in the middle of my sentence and watched the sly smirk appear on his face. "I'm not saying I'm interested Andre, but I think you're extremely attractive."

He pulled me into a hug. I laughed as he twirled me around. This was the fun Andre I liked. He was always so serious and dreadful.

"Ya want a piece of this An-drink don't ya?"

I stared at him, "That was a different level of corny."

A loud banging on the door interrupted our conversation. I looked at Andre. He shrugged. I opened my top drawer and grabbed my small shot gun.

Phrey bought me one because he wanted me to be protected. You'll never know how many have threatened me within the past few months.

"Ya ain't gon shoot nobody. Put that shit down,"Andre mumbled.

"Shut up 'for I pistol whip you hoe."

"Phrey got you thinking you big and bad," He laughed. He took the gun out of my hand and cocked it. "If anybody shooting it's me."

I followed him to the door. He held the gun behind his back and looked into the peephole. He chuckled and swung the door open. Darnell stood on the other side looking frightened.

"What's up ni-"

"They-they...fuck man,"Darnell cried.

I pushed past Andre and held Darnell's hand. I knew it was bad because he couldn't even say what happened. The same thing happened when he told me his parents were killed in an accident two years ago.

"Darnell?"

"They shot PJ,"He cried.

"What?"Andre shouted kind of loud. Darnell jumped at the sound, "Fuck ya talkin bout man?"

"They shot PJ-Just um, just come with me."

I grabbed my phone out of Andre's back pocket and saw the 20 missed calls from Phrey. I had a few from Darnell but mostly Phrey. Andre took out his phone and saw 67 missed calls.

Darnell motioned for us to go to his car. I looked at the black Tahoe, and noticed it was Phrey's. He opened the door and I looked at the blood stains on the front seat.