Chapter 6

KATHRYN

The roads were very dark. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to drive again. My eye-hand coordination was off by a lot. That's why I couldn't eat right either. I would have to ask Josh about that because I hate it.

I learned how to drive at the age of 17. My father taught me. He was actually a calm teacher. I looked at my phone. I had one voicemail from Darnell.

"Hey baby, I saw you were sleeping. I didn't want to wake you up. When you get this voicemail just call me back. I love you,"Darnell said.

I shook my head. He know good and well I don't like his ass. Darnell was a great person. He was just too boring for me. I'm young and I want to live. He's 48. I remember when we first met in medical school. He was a alumni.

"So you want to pursue a medical career?"The teacher asked me.

"Yes ma'am,"I spoke.

She nodded slightly. A older man walked in. His eyes scanned the room. I guess he was looking for something. I had no clue who he was.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. I left my computer in here,"He said.

He grabbed the computer off of his desk and left the room.

"That's our very own Dr. Stevens. He's a surgeon. He graduated here about three years ago,"She spoke.

She continued my interview. I was really ready for it because I had studied like crazy. I had all my friends ask me questions like these. It wasn't hard actually. The questions I studied were a lot harder.

Once the interview was over, I thanked her. I walked out of the room. I turned to my left and bumped into a muscular figure. A loud noise erupted when I fell down on my ass.

"I'm so sorry,"The voice said.

I grabbed my book bag off of the floor.

"It's perfectly fine. I need to watch where I'm going."

"Kathryn right?"

I looked up at him. He was the same person who came into the interview room. His skin was rich with chocolate. He had some grey hair sprouting. He was very fine for a older man.

"I'm Darnell Stevens."

"Kathryn Smith."

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket. I knew if I ever needed anything, this was the man I needed to go too. A alumni surgeon. He was perfect for recommendations.

"What are you trying to study for?"He asked.

"RN, following in my Nana's footsteps."

"I'm actually good friends with the head of that department. If you ever need anything, you know where my office is,"He gestured.

I saw a slight wink come out of his eye.

"Of course! It was nice meeting you..."

"Mr. Stevens."

Words could not describe how much I disliked that man. My father would've killed me if he was here. I was married to a man because I needed to get through some medical school. I'm still in medical school now trying to get a higher degree. This time without Darnell's help.

"Yo edges came back and yo ass is getting a lil bigger
Girl fuck that lil nig-"The radio sang.

I pushed the off button. Is this what music has turned to now? At least it's better than all of that Lil Uzi mess that I heard earlier. I had no clue what he was saying.

A few street lights began to illuminate the roads. I still couldn't see that well but I was getting somewhere. I had to be driving at least 15 miles per a hour. My hands kept twitching and I got distracted by every little new thing that I saw.

Trees were 'butt naked' as my father used to say. Layers of frost could be seen everywhere from cars, to grass, even road signs. The winter had to be my least favorite season.

I slowed down as I saw a car parked on the side of the road. I saw Andre leaning against his car. He was smoking a cigarette. I gagged at the smell. I hated cigarettes so much. My mother smoked them my whole childhood and she continues to do so. It's disgusting.

"'Bout damn time. Ya ass said ya would be hea in 15 minutes. It's been a whole damn hou',"He laughed.

"I had to escape from the fucking hospital. You cannot have the nerve to rush me,"I rolled my eyes.

I looked in the backseat of the ladies car and pulled out the cables. He took them from my hands and began to hook them up to his car.

"Com'in," He motioned.

My head started to hurt as I remembered a few events from that day.

"Com'in," His voice roared.

I opened the door to his room. I heard soft murmurs coming from the couch. A little girl sat on the couch playing with her dolls. I thought they took the children away if you attempted suicide. Maybe I don't know everything in the health care setting.

"Amarah, hush up na'. The nurse here," He said to her.

I playfully laughed. I picked up some of her toys off of the floor and handed them too her.

"Oh no, it's perfectly fine. You can keep playing sweetheart."

"I want mine and her hair to be like yours!" The child shouted.

She pointed to her doll. It was a black Barbie doll. One of the typical ones.

"Let's say after this I can teach you how to do you're hair like this! I'll do yours too!"I told her.

"Yay!" She screamed.

"Ms. Smith...ya cool?"He asked.

A cold hand touched my forehead. I slapped it away. I put my hand over my chest. My breathing got faster. I gasped for air.

"Kathryn, Kathryn! Ima call tha people. Something wrong with ya," He said typing in his phone.

"No, it's cool... I just didn't.... ween myself off of the oxygen machine... and now breathing is harder... It's... ok. I'll be fine,"I managed to say.

"Na' ma' ya sound like ya about ta die. I'm ca-"

I sat down in his car. His voice kind of zoned out. I flinched as I felt something hit my ass. I got up and reached on the seat. It was a pill bottle.

"What's this?"I asked.

I looked the prescription. There was none. I opened it up. He was too into his phone to even realize I was looking at his pills.

"Andre, you take Adderalls?"I asked.

"Aye! Stop going through ma' fucking stuff! What tha fuck ya doing?"He shouted.

I rolled my eyes and poured the pills out on the ground. He didn't need them.

"What tha fuck is wrong with ya?"He shouted.

"I have to get back to the hospital. Start your fucking car,"I mumbled.

He slammed the car door. He started to pick up the pills one by one placing them back in the bottle.

"Ya know how much this shit cost? Huh?"

"Maybe if you stop buying it you could afford a better car."

He looked my dead in my eyes.

"I'm fucking homeless. I don't have a job. I live in ma' car. Do not tell me ta stop what I'm doing. Everybody don't like in tha hills and drive Lamborghinis like ya."

My eyes started to water. I never been yelled at before like this. I also felt so bad. Amarah lived here in this car? I can't imagine how terrible this must be for her.

"Get out ma' fucking car,"He shouted.

I jumped.

"I'm sorry Andre. I didn't kn-"

"Get tha fuck outta ma' car bitch,"He shouted.