Chapter 27

Zoe Franta

The next few days were fun. Nash, Cam, and Hayes were going to be leaving today to start the move in to the house they found. Hayes was going to be going back to North Carolina though. I would miss him but we were going to make things work. Hayes and I were trying to spend as much time as we could together before he left. We decided to go outside and just lay there. We were just getting settled when my phone rang. It was Eva. I answered and she instantly spoke.

"Zoe, you need to come quick. We were in a car accident. I'm okay but my parents aren't." Eva said, crying into the phone.

"What? Is this a joke?" I asked.

"No. Please come." She said crying.

"I'll be there soon." I said, hanging up.

"Who was that and why will you be there soon?" Hayes asked, upset.

"It was Eva. She was in a car crash and her parents aren't okay." I told him, running my hand through my hair.

Hayes's eyes widened and he grabbed my hand. We quickly went inside and I explained to Connor what had happened. Hayes and I got in the car with Connor and he drove to the hospital. When we got there, I ran out and got inside. I didn't see Eva. I went up to the lady working the front desk.

"Craig, Celcy, and Eva Stafford." I said.

"I'm sorry, you may only see Eva at this time and you must be family." She said.

"I'm her sister!" I exclaimed.

"Room 142." She said, pointing out which hallway it was.

"Okay thanks." I said, going over to a confused Hayes and Connor.

"Only I can go cause I'm her sister." I explained.

"Okay." Connor said, getting what I said so I could go in.

I ran down the hall and knocked on Eva's door, then walking in.

"Zoe!" She said.

"Eva, how did this happen?" I asked.

"I don't know. One minute we were on the road and the next we were in a ditch and our car was crushed. Nothing hit us though." Eva said, tearing up.

"Who was driving?" I asked.

"My dad." She said.

"Was anything wrong with the car?" I asked.

"It was brand new." She answered.

"You don't think he attempted suicide do you?" I asked her cautiously.

"Oh shit. He has seemed depressed lately." She said, starting to cry.

"We should tell the doctor about what we think when one comes in." I said.

"Okay." She agreed.

I sat down in the chair next to Eva while we waited for the doctor to come in. During that time, I got a text from Hayes.

H- You and Eva are sisters?

Z- No, I had to lie to get in but we pretty much are sisters, even if it's not by blood.

H- Oh. What's happening right now?

Z- We are waiting for the doctor to come.

H- Okay. Keep me updated baby.

Z- Will do. Thanks for coming with me.

H- Of course.

The doctor came in and we turned to look at him. His face was emotionless. Eva looked up at him and we waited for him to start talking.

"We tried our best, but your parents have passed away. I'm terribly sorry." The doctor said.

"WHAT?" Eva screamed.

"Eva, calm down, it'll be okay." I tried to say before she cut me off.

"You can't tell me that! You don't know what it's like!" She yelled at me.

"Don't know what it's like? My parents died in a car crash! I was only four which was even worse!" I said to her.

"I'm sorry! It's just, they can't be gone!" She said, crying into my shoulder.

"She is in shock right now. Do you mind trying to calm her down?" The doctor asked.

"Yeah, I did want to tell you that as of what Eva told me she thinks that her dad tried to commit suicide." I said quietly. "There wasn't anyone on the road, it was a new car, and her dad has been acting depressed lately."

"Thank you for sharing that. I will be back in a few minutes." The man said, walking out of the room.

Eva was still shaking and crying into my shoulder. They are going to make her go to the adoption center. She doesn't have any relatives that she can live with. She won't be able to handle it. She calmed down but was still quietly sobbing. The doctor came back in and so did Connor and Hayes, along with Ricky. They must have let them in.

"Okay Eva, we have tried to find relatives but none were found that would take you, so you are going to have to go to an adoption center." The doctor said.

"She can't!" I said instantly.

"It is required by law. She is not of age to live on her own." The doctor explained. "I'll leave you to it, you will be moved to the adoption center tomorrow." With that, the doctor walked out.

"I'm not going to live. How did you do it?" She asked me.

"I don't know. I got close to ending it once." I said.

"I'm literally going to die." She said.

"Please don't say that. I'll vis.... I can't. I live forty minutes away." I said, letting a few tears slip.

"Why? He knew he could take all of our lives!" She said, getting louder and louder.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"She's not going to that adoption center." Ricky spoke up.

"What do you mean?" She asked confused.

"What if I adopt you?" He asked.

"Would you?" She asked, hope in her eyes.

"I would." Ricky said.

"Thank you so much!" Eva answered.

I went over to Ricky and have him the biggest hug ever. This was honestly a bit of the best day and the worst day ever.

"Thank you so much." I whispered to Ricky.

"No problem." He replied.

I then went over to Hayes and he brought me into a hug. He kissed my cheek and I smiled. I then went back over to Eva and we did our little high five handshake thing. She would be my sister.

We had to go home but the doctor knew that when they brought her over to the adoption center that we would be adopting her. When I got home, I went upstairs and got into my bed. Hayes joined me a few minutes later and I went to sleep. It would be a long time before I see Hayes again after tomorrow but tomorrow we are adopting Eva. Good and bad things coming my way.