Chapter 12

Tyler Carmonski

I heard my phone go off from next to me. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, realizing I wasn't in my room. Then I remembered that I was over at Zoe's house. I grabbed my phone and quietly climbed down from the top bunk and trudged up her stairs to the bathroom.

I decided I wouldn't take a shower. I took one yesterday before I came over and I will take one when I get home. I turned the bathroom light on and changed into dark blue jeans and a random t-shirt. I grabbed all of my hair products and styled my hair, which took about fifteen minutes. Once I was done with that, I found everything that was mine and put it in my bag I brought over. I also had my backpack with me. I put my socks and shoes on and went over to Zoe. 

"Zoe." I whispered, not wanting to wake Eva up. 

"What?" She groaned quietly. 

"C'mon. My mom is gonna be here in a few minutes." I said. 

She sat up and rubbed her eyes, following me down her little spiral staircase thing and out the door. We walked downstairs quietly, being careful to not make a noise. Once we were downstairs, she leaned into my shoulder and fell back asleep. I wrapped my arm around her, trying to make it a little more comfortable. 

About five minutes later, I heard a very soft knock on the door. I shook Zoe awake quietly and she stood up with me. I checked to make sure it was her before I opened the door. Once I was sure, Zoe unlocked the door and stepped outside with me. 

"Thank you for having me over." I said, giving her a hug. 

"No problem Ty." She said, hugging me back. "How are you Mrs. Carmonski?"

"I am well, thank you for asking. I'm sorry I'm late, traffic was horrible!" Mom said. 

"Oh, yeah. Well, Tyler better get to school if he doesn't want to be late. Thank you for letting Tyler stay. We had an amazing time." Zoe said, smiling. 

"Oh no problem! Tyler talks about how he helped you out all the time! He was raised good, dear. Now, as Zoe said, we don't want you to be late." Mom said, aiming the last part towards me. 

"Okay. Bye Zoe!" I said, walking to the car with Mom. 

"Bye Ty!" She said, going back inside and locking the door. 

Eva Stafford

I woke up to my phone going off. It was 8:00 a.m. and I had to get ready for school. I noticed Zoe still sleeping and Tyler's things gone. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and got up, not even going to bother waking Zoe up until I have to go downstairs.

I grabbed my stuff and went into the bathroom. I changed out of my old clothes and into the school uniform that consisted of a plaid skirt, long white socks, a white shirt with a plaid tie, and any plaid accessories, like a headband. I placed the headband on the counter, starting on my hair. I brushed through it pretty easily, placing the headband through it, and styling it from there. I then brushed my teeth and placed my shoes on. 

"Zoe." I sang quietly as I walked up the spiral stairs to her bed. It was pretty cool. 

"What." She groaned. 

"Come down with me." I said, getting down and grabbing all of my stuff. 

She groaned again and got out of bed, coming downstairs with me. She walked into the kitchen with me and I grabbed the cereal she put on the counter, pouring me a bowl she got out. I quickly ate it and put my bowl in the sink. Zoe fell asleep in the seat next to me. I shook her awake and we sat on the couch for a few minutes until I heard a quiet knock. 

"C'mon Zoe." I said, pulling her with me. 

I checked to make sure it was my mom before I opened the door. When I saw her face, I unlocked the door and gave her a hug. 

"Hey Eva. How was it?" She asked me. 

"It was so much fun!" I squealed quietly. 

"Well that's good to hear! How are you Zoe? How are you liking your new family?" My mom asked Zoe. 

"Tired. I had to get up at 6:30 to escort my other friend out. I didn't stay up either. I think it's an affect of having my painkillers and going back to sleep." She said, laughing a little. "And my new family is great. We saw a fight between two of the boys over which one I liked more. It was funny stuff."

"Oh well I hope that's not the case! Who knows, maybe you will get that surgery to fix it. Well, I have to get Eva to school. I'll see you soon honey." My mom said, giving Zoe a small hug. 

"Bye bae!" I said. 

"Bye Eva! I'll text you later." She said, closing the door and locking it once we started walking away. 

Zoe Franta

After I closed the door behind Eva, I heard someone step out from behind the stairs. I jumped, but noticed it was Connor.

"Hey." I said, yawning. 

"What is this about a surgery?" Connor asked me. 

"Just to get my rib fixed so I don't have to take painkillers every day." I said. "Nothing big."

"Nothing big? We can get you the surgery!" Connor exclaimed. 

"It's extremely expensive." I replied. 

"I don't care. I'm not gonna have my daughter have to worry about these painkillers the rest of her life. I don't think the boys would either. If you want this to be done then we can do it." Connor answered firmly. 

"I just don't want to be a burden. You have already spent so much money on me." I said, frowning a little bit. 

"You're not going to be a burden! That is what a dad is supposed to do, spoil his children! Please let me pay for your surgery. You shouldn't have to take painkillers the rest of your life. Plus, I heard you guys talking about volleyball last night on my way to bed. If you want to play volleyball you can't have a bad rib. It could make the damage worse for you. Please let me do this." Connor basically begged me. 

"Connor, are you sure you want to do this? You don't have to." I said, looking at him. 

"I want to. I don't care about how much it is, I want you to be able to live life to the fullest!" Connor said with confidence. 

"Okay Connor. This is one of the only things I will let you pay A LOT on me for something though. I'm not used to this, but I don't want to make this a daily kind of thing. Okay?" I asked, caving in. 

"Okay." He replied, giving me a hug before we both went back up to our rooms to go back to sleep.