Chapter 2

Zoe Lopez

I glanced at the small clock that was placed on my desk. It was currently 8:14 a.m. I must have fallen asleep reading the Fault in our Stars. I sighed, rubbing my eyes and getting up. I changed into some old shorts and a baggy shirt. It's all I had to wear pretty much. I took some of my pain medicine and brushed my hair, making it completely tangle free. I had thin, curly hair, and I honestly love it. 

I went downstairs and into the kitchen part, getting a small amount of cereal. I quickly ate it and then went back up to my room. Today was Saturday, so Eva would be over at about eleven. I had about two hours by the time I got back up to my room. 

I decided to do something I haven't done or even thought of in a while. I went over to my suitcase. I had a special compartment that I kept the phone numbers, but also something else. A note that Tyler left me. He told me not to open it up until I turn thirteen, and I guess I have forgot about it, but I decided that I should read it now. I have nothing else to do.  I sighed as I opened it up, reading the perfect handwriting. 

Dear Zoe, 

I am so thankful that I had someone here who actually supported me. As you know, I told you not to open this until your thirteenth birthday. Whether you listened or not I guess I won't know. You were such an adorable nine year old and you were fun to be around. You didn't let other people tell you what you can and can't do. I hope you haven't used that trait around the leaders here now, or else you would know that you would get whipped and hit. 

I hope that you can find a good family that will take care of you and not be abusive. You deserve it. There are so many people out there who take children for granted, and hurt them physically and mentally. I am just so grateful that I am going to someone nice. 

I was worried that you might have lost that small piece of paper I gave you with my phone number so I decided to write it down on this too. It will be down at the bottom. I want you to give me a call as soon as you get out of there and find a good family that will let you call me. I want to meet up with you and go get some Starbucks or something. 

I guess I should wrap up this letter now, I have to leave in a few minutes. I hope we can be reunited someday. 

Tyler <3 555-555-5555

My hand flew over my mouth and I felt tears flowing out of my eyes. I carefully put the letter back into the envelope and placed it back in the special spot. I wiped my tears and grabbed the Fault in our Stars, and continued where I left off. 

"I'm entering your room." I heard Eva say before walking into my room about an hour and a half later. 

"You do that." I called out as she opened the door. 

"Hey!" Eva called out.

"Shut up and let me finish this page." I said, trying to quickly read the page. 

"She looks so perfect standing there in my American Appearal underwear." Eva sang quietly. 

"What the hell?" I asked her, shutting the book.

"Five Seconds of Summer!" Eva said, excited. 

"Play the song." I answered. 

She played the song it was actually really good. We had a jam session and helped me learn the lyrics, though it wasn't hard considering it was a really catchy song. She played a few more of their songs for me and I fell in love. The only band I really listen to is Fall Out Boy because that is one of Eva's favorite bands. My favorite song by them is My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark. Eva says that I'm the only one that she knows that can time the whole song perfectly, which is actually pretty hard for most people. 

"Wow I guess they are good." I said. 

"Guess? Good? They are amazing!" Eva yelled, causing me to laugh. 

"But wait, if there are only four people in the band, then why are the called FIVE Seconds Of Summer?" I asked my friend, now confused.

"I love the name! When you think about it now though, I guess I can see where you're coming from." Eva said. 

"Hey, what day is it?" I asked. 

"March 26th, why?" Eva responded, looking down at her phone. 

"I CAN LEAVE!" I yelled excitedly. 

The rule is the day you turn thirteen and a half, you are aloud to leave the adoption center for two hours at a time with one more person of the age. Apparently it's thirteen and a half because when you turn thirteen they want to make sure you are 'capable' of handling responsibility. My birthday is September 23, which means that my half birthday was three days ago. I'm really excited to see the outdoors again. It will honestly be really nice and a change for the better. 

"Yay! We can finally go down to that little park and... do you have your penny board?" Eva asked me. 

"Yea why?"

"I can teach you how to use it!" Eva said excitedly. "C'mon!"

She pulled my arm and brought me downstairs to the main part of the adoption center. I passed by the kids who were watching Nickelodeon. It was the only channel we got where you can actually see the screen. We have Disney too, but it rarely ever works. 

"I'm leaving with Eva." I told one of the co-owners as we walked outside. 

She just nodded her head. The second I took a step outdoors I knew I made the right choice. It was beautiful outside. It was also the perfect temperature outside. Eva grabbed her penny board and started skating slowly. I was holding mine and walking with her, just talking about random stuff. When we got the park, Eva started teaching me how to ride a penny board right away. 

"Ok, when you pedal, you want to have your right foot right in front of the first two bolts in the front. Then you just use your left foot to pedal." She said.

I tried what she said with her guidance and I got my foot in the right place and pedaled. Eva clapped and I put my foot down on the ground, stopping myself. 

"Beautiful! Now, once you're done pedaling, you are going to turn your right foot as you bring your left foot the same way you turned your left foot and place it behind the first two bolts in the back." She said. 

She showed me what she meant, and then I tried it. It was actually pretty easy. I figured out how to turn by myself and I heard applause from Eva. 

"Good job! You're a natural!'' She told me, causing me to laugh. "We'll work on a kick flip tomorrow. It's sunset." Eva said, grabbing her penny board. 

We both rode back to the adoption center and Eva said bye to me. I walked inside and didn't even bother with dinner, just going straight up to my room and going to sleep, excited about tomorrow.