This Is Me~ Greatest Showman

Start from the beginning

"By the way, are you sure you don't want me to beat up 'you know who up' for you?" Phil asked again.

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh, oh

Dan took a deep breath, the music started to play. Dan thought about his parents. Dan thought about how their words were the worst thing that Dan had ever encountered. He imagined their red faces as the screamed at him. They told him he was worthless. Useless. They told Dan no one would love him for who he was. He thought about how terrible it was. He imagined that every dance move he did was like him fighting back. He imagined their wave of words, trying to drown him. This time though, it was like he built a wall. That was the day he realized that their words did nothing but gave him passion to put into his dancing.

As the song Dan danced to came to a slow, he thought about Phil. He thought about how he was, well, in love with him. He thought about how Phil didn't like him back, but maybe they'd get there someday.

Dan's heart raced as Robert Packrel clapped for him. He wanted to cry from happiness.
"You are amazing!" Robert got out of his seat and walked over to Dan. "I really felt your emotions! I'd love for you to dance for me!" He smiled as he shook Dan's hand.
"Oh my god, I'd love to!" Dan laughed.

Dan walked out of the audition with the brightest smile he could muster. It got wider when he was almost tackled with a hug.
"I'm so proud of you!" Phil squeezed him tight.
"Thanks, Phil." A tear dropped down his face.
"Seriously though, your performance was amazing! I told you, you're great!" Phil gripped his shoulders. "I could kiss you right now!" He laughed, Dan's eyes widened.

A blush appeared on Phil's face once he realized what he just said. His mouth felt dry. "Im so sorry.. um.. it blurted. It blurted? I mean it um.. it blurted out of my mouth. Oh god.. this must be so weird.. you probably think I'm too old for you." Phil covered his face with his hands. Dan grabbed them and put them around his waist. He smiled, this is what he had been waiting for.

"Hey, it's just four years." Dan shrugged, as he wrapped his arms around Phil's neck. Phil smiled and leaned in for a kiss.

Another round of bullets hits my skin
Well, fire away 'cause today, I won't let the shame sink in
We are bursting through the barricades
And reaching for the sun (we are warriors)
Yeah, that's what we've become
*Present time*

Dan smiled at the memory. He remembered how proud Phil was of him. He remembered how his career was just taking off back then. Suddenly, he snapped out of his daze. He focused on the guy stood in front of him.

"You should be ashamed of yourself!" He scolded Dan. "How dare you! Prancing around stage like that! Dancing is meant for wom-"
"Sorry, were you still talking?" Dan scrunched his nose. He guy stopped for a moment.
"Of course I was still talking!" The man looked offended that Dan had listened to all the shit he had to say about him.

"Sorry, guess I just zoned out a little." Dan scratched the back of his neck. He look down at his watch. "I mean, you can keep going if you want. I have like.. five minutes before I have to practice for my next performance." Dan wanted to laugh at how offended this guy was.

Just as this guy was about to go rambling on again, Dan's agent called him over. Guess he had less time than he thought.

Won't let them break me down to dust
I know that there's a place for us
For we are glorious

"He's not bothering you, is he?" Phil asked once Dan got to him. Dan smiled.
"Nah, it's fine. I don't care anymore. He's just some jerk anyway," Dan shrugged, Phil frowned, he felt protective over Dan.
"That doesn't mean he gets to make fun of you," Phil mumbled. He grabbed Dan's hand and rubbed it with the pad of his thumb. "Want me to beat him up for you?" He smiled.

"No, I'm fine. I have practice anyway." Dan started to walk away. He ran back and grabbed Phil's hand again. "Thanks anyway though." He gave him a peck on the lips and pulled him to his practice area.

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
Gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

Dan started to practice his routine. He let the music carry him. He thought about his journey. He thought about the struggles, and some of the terrible people he had to go through to get to where he was now. Every time he thought about it, it came back to Phil. Dan was a dam full of water, ready to break. It was like Phil was this bulldozer that finally broke the dam. Dan was free and as happy as he could be.

He didn't even notice when Phil stopped the music. He finished his dance. Phil clapped loud and proud when he finished. Dan beamed at him, a blush crawled up his face.

"Want to get out of here?" Phil asked him. "We have an hour before your performance starts. You're the best of the best, you don't need anymore practice for your routine. Come on," Phil smiled.

"Fine," Dan sighed and followed him out the door.

Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh, oh
This is me
And I know that I deserve your love
There's nothing I'm not worthy of
When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
This is brave, this is proof
This is who I'm meant to be, this is me

Phil brought him to a small bridge towards the back of the building they were staying at. They sat and watched the water flow out from under them. Their hands were tightly closed together. Their breaths mingled in the air.

"Wanna dance?" Phil whispered to Dan. Dan looked up to see Phil's outstretched hand.
"Of course," Dan took it.

They danced under the moonlight. They were pressed tightly against each other, keeping the cold air out. Their noses were close, their lips about to touch. They swayed, which Dan didn't count as dancing, but he loved it just as much.

"I really do love you, Dan," Phil said gently. Dan smiled as he swayed along. He finally felt it. It hit him. He finally realized that he was wanted. Dan was a great dancer, he had tons of fans. Dan realized he wasn't useless at all. Dan finally realized, he really was loved.

Look out 'cause here I come (look out 'cause here I come)
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum (marching on, marching, marching on)
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me

Dan smiled at Phil, a bright smile.
"I love you too, Phil," He whispered against his lips. "I love you so much." He connected the gap between them, and Phil didn't mind at all.

I'm gonna send a flood
Gonna drown them out
This is me

Dan learned over the years that what random people said about him didn't matter all. The only people who mattered were the ones who accepted him for who he was. There wasn't a huge selection of people, but that didn't matter. You don't need fifty people to fill that gap. Sometime you just need one.

For Dan, that perfect person was, of course, Phil.

——————————

Thank you Axellnicorn for the idea of this chapter!