79: Cracked Up

It was time for Chae-rin's nap. After two weeks of being a mother you had to admit that you were beyond exhausted. Feedings every two hours, diaper changes more often than that, spit up on all of your clothes and on top of it all, some psychotic freak who just stared at you and your baby from other rooms. Luckily, your dog, who had grown a bit, was a great older sibling. Not only did Tofu love the baby, but they hated Bum enough to bark whenever he got too close. And as you prepared a fruit salad for lunch, it sounded like it was one of those times.

Sighing and walking upstairs, you got an uneasy feeling. You were still quite pregnant-looking and still sore and leaky from the birth, so getting up the stairs was no easy feat. But you needed to check on Tofu and make sure everything was alright.

It wasn't. As you opened the door you noticed that Bum was looming over your bassinet, pushing down.

Oh my God, he's smothering my baby. The thought barely ran through your mind before you had moved forward so quickly, with your paring knife aimed right at his neck.

His face whipped around just in time to see the look of rage that was plastered on your face. And then everything starting spinning. Soon, he couldn't keep his body up right. He was suddenly on the floor. He felt cold. He felt tired. And eventually, he just decided to go to sleep.

You on the other hand were working hard, pushing and pulling the tiny knife you had in and out of his neck. Bum wasn't getting out alive this time. Sangwoo had forgiven him too many times. As you sat quietly, pushing in and pulling out this knife, you felt a sort of catharsis. You did your job as a mother.

Quickly, you checked on the baby, who was looking a little pale but was otherwise breathing.

Despite the fact that Bum's jugular veins had spewed all over you, you picked your baby up. Sitting down in your rocking chair, your body was shaking. You had done it. You had killed that awful man. Saved your baby.

"Ah-ah!" You snapped at Tofu. "Don't drink that, you sicko." You tutted at your puppy, calling him over to you and away from the leaking body.

Laying Chae-rin on your chest, you began rocking gently until you yourself had fallen asleep. The next thing that woke you was your husband's voice.

"What the fuck? What happened?" His face was dark. He was livid.

You rolled your head and looked at Sangwoo with a tired face.

"He was trying to smother the baby." You sighed as your eyes closed once again. You were so, so tired.

"You could've at least cleaned up..." He noticed the pillow in the bassinet, instantly confirming your story. He kicked the dead body as he walked past it. "He wore out his use anyway."

"And what use was that?" You asked sleepily, eyes still closed.

Sangwoo walked over to you and wiped some of the blood off of your face.

"Entertaining me when you couldn't."

"What do you mean by that?"

"You're practically molded to my exact liking now. Why would I need anyone else?"

You chuckled as he took Chae-rin from your arms and cuddled her.

"Or maybe, Sang, you've been molded to my liking."

He kissed his baby's forehead and kneeled next to you. As he kissed your cheek, he whispered in your ear.

"You might just be right."