73: Month Five

"Alright everyone, gather round! It's present time!" Sangwoo cheered out as he gathered his friends into his house. A few friends from when he went back to university to finish up his degree, most of his coworkers and even the chief of police. What better way to draw suspicion away from him than to invite the "best cop" right into his house.

You, on the other hand, were having a ball. There was pregnancy games-- like guessing how many pieces of toilet paper would wrap around your belly-- pregnancy themed cupcakes and now presents! You had never had a party with other people before and you figured this was something like a birthday party, but without the singing. Nevertheless, you were thrilled.

Sangwoo brought an armful of presents over to you, sitting on the couch.

"Alright, princess, you can go ahead. But I would chose that big one over there." He pointed to a large present that was right on the side by itself.

"Hmmm." You thought as you scanned the presents. "Okay, Sang! Only because you say so. Is it a stroller?"

"Try again."

"Crib?"

"Just open it."

As you leaned over to remove the top off of the wrapped box, you noticed something peculiar.

"Sang, there's holes in this box, is that okay?" You looked around at everyone who looked like this was the biggest anticipation of the season.

"Gotta have 'em, babe. Open it up!" His eyes were wide.

You gave him an odd look and then took the top off of the box.

Arf! Arf! A puppy backed at you as it looked up at you with joy.

"Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!!!!!!" You whispered-screamed. You had gotten it. Your puppy. "Are you sure? Aren't we going to be busy with the baby? What do we name it? Ahhhh!"

You were holding the squirming puppy tightly as you leaned against Sangwoo. Tears fell down your eyes as you cooed at the puppy. Years, you had waited for one. And looking at it now, you decided you had a great name. Tofu. You liked the food and this puppy was squishy like the food.

"Tofu!" You called out, puppy making eye contact with you and licking your face.

"All in good time, my love. For now, let's have Bum take the puppy outside to the backyard and entertain it. I got all the stuff for it in the basement." He looked over at Bum, who you reluctantly gave the puppy to.

As you opened gift after gift-- newborn clothes, a stroller, a high chair, baby mattress sheet, plenty of diapers-- you worried about your new puppy.

"Can we bring the puppy back in, Sang?" You asked as the group dispersed and the party wrapped up.

"Yeah, I'll go get it." He shrugged, glad the party was over.

As he walked outside, he was greeted by a very disturbing sight. Bum was holding to dog underneath his foot and watching it squirm.

"You swine!" His uppercut came out of nowhere and knocked Bum to the ground. "You fucking bitch, FUCK! That's my wife's puppy. She waited years for it and you're trying to kill it?"

He kicked Bum repeatedly in the ribs, until he coughed up what looked like blood.

"Thank me for sparing your life." Sangwoo sneered as he picked up the cowering puppy who was luckily unharmed. His foot pressed down on Bum's head. "You like being held under someone's foot? Thank. Me."

"T-Thanks..." Bum finally came to. It was all very odd, because he hadn't even remembered going outside.