Chapter Seventeen: His Sister

Y/n POV

I awake to the sound of the light snore of Vernon. His hefty head is leant on mine. I felt the warmth of his inexplicable compassion as he involuntarily embraced me closer. He then woke up.

"The rain stopped." He recognized.

"Yes, it has." We both take a deep sigh. "What time is it?"

"About 2:30." He says looking at his phone with his free hand. "Y-y/n?"

"Yes?" I turn my head to him faintly.

"Why were you crying?" I hesitate to answer his question. He sees my disposition. "Y-you don't have to answer if you don't want to." He quickly reassures.

"N-no, it's okay."

"Are you sure?" He sincerely looks into my eyes.

I nodded. "I was crying because I had just a call from B/f/n and it was..." I pause trying to think of the word. "...devastating."

"What was it about?" He asks considerately.

I can feel my voice start to become shattered and my eyes on the brink of tears. I can see Vernon become concerned through the blurriness of the water.

"Nevermind. I understand. You don't have to go through with explaining it."

"Thank you, Vernon." I sniffled.

He smiles affectionately. "Alright." He stands up unhesitatingly. "Let's wipe those tears, blow you nose, and bring back the extraordinary Y/n back." He says optimistically.

He takes the bulky headphones off of me and puts it around his neck. He pulls me up. He unwraps the no-longer-warm blanket off of me. We both head to the common floor. He goes and hands me the headphones.

"Go to my room and set on my desk. I'll be in the laundry room putting this in the washer."

"Okay."

I head to his bedroom and see Seungkwan playing Poki Poki Arithmetic Club on his laptop.

"Oh, Y/n. You're here."

"Hey, Seungkwan. I'm just here to return Vernon's headphones."

"Okay, speaking of Vernon, did he confess yet?" Seungkwan grins.

"Hmm?" I cock my head to the right in confusion. "What d'you mean?"

"Oh? Nevermind, it's not my place to say his part of the story."

I scoff. "What story?"

"Oh, nothing. Now move along."

"Okay?"

I head over to the laundry room. I realize that it's 2:30 and we haven't eaten lunch. I open the creaky door to see Vernon pop in a Wave pod.

"Hey, wanna get some lunch?"

Vernon POV

"Go to my room and set on my desk. I'll be in the laundry room putting this in the washer." I say, without stuttering this time.

"Okay."

We both split. I take another glance at her.