Danger

I accelerated the car engine immediately right after hearing Jaes words.
I drove along paths I had never seen before, just so he'd lose our track.

I looked trough the rear view and saw him struggling, trying to get past other cars which were in his way. As soon as I saw that I turned left in an instant, hoping he didn't see it and would continue driving without taking the same turn.

I parked my car on next to the sidewalk as I saw his car driving along the wrong path.
I let out a heavy sigh, just to see Jae looking around in confusion.

"Mommy that's not our way home!" He stated, trying to understand what was going on.
I turned to face him and gave him a warming smile. "I know babe, but I just wanted to check something. We'll be going home now I promise." I lied.

He kept on staring at me for a while before he nodded his head.

And with that we made our way back home, with me watching our surroundings carefully.

I looked through the rear view from time to time peeking glances at Jae in the back, who was still slightly confused about earlier.

He wasn't an easy child to be honest. But he was my child. And it was my duty as his mother to take care of him and to always be there for him. I was just always scared that he'd inherit his fathers behavior someday.

Because sometimes he acted different, I wouldn't say like some weirdo kid who always sat in the corner living an emo life. No. Not like that. But still different.

There was one day for example, when he had cut himself by accident but instead of crying and asking for help. He walked calmly over to me and observed his blood dripping down from his finger closely. Before asking me to take care of his wound.

I didn't know why. But it were the little things that made him seem different from others.
He was also really stubborn and didn't listen at times, and his respect towards elders was limited, he'd respect you if you seemed worth it in his opinion.

I might sound like one of those stressed mothers to you, but one thing was sure.
He acted this way because there was no one who he was actually scared of.
He acted this way because he never had a father to look up to.

-

"Mum I don't wanna go to sleep!"
He cried out for the hundredths of time

"Yes you want to."

"No!"

"Yes!"

No!"

"Yes!"

He began jumping around on his bed in frustration, clearly not wanting to go to sleep.

"Jae..."

"I don't wanna go to kindergarten it's always boring there!"

"Jae stop! I'm your mother and I told you to go to sleep! Now do so!"
I shouted at him and he slowly began to crawl under his blanket, sniffing as he was about to cry.

You see? That's exactly what I meant earlier. He's not easy to handle.

I sighed and switched the lights off.
Before I made my way downstairs.

I walked down the stairs when I realized that a window was wide open. I scratched my neck and wondered if I had opened it earlier.

I walked over to it and was about to close it when I thought I had seen someone outside the house.

!!!

I smashed the window close and pulled the curtains right after. I rushed to the front door and locked it.

Shit. I cursed under my breath. He found us. It was obvious. Jimin was here. And right in front of our house.

It send chills down my spine when I thought about the opened window.

I walked carefully around the house to check if he had entered and did something. But nothing.

Everything was right at its place.

What does he want...? I wondered as I was about to grab something from the fridge when something caught my attention.

What the-

There was a little letter on the kitchen counter, covered by a lot of red dots at the bottom. Don't tell me that was blood...

I gulped and reached for it as I began reading.

I've burned
a thousand memories
on a thousand fires
and all the smoke
was you.

...

I crumpled the letter and threw it away. Running towards the door and opening it slowly, I then stepped outside. "What do you want!" I shouted into the dark.

There was literally no living soul outside at this time. So I wasn't sure who I was actually talking to. But what I was definitely sure of was, that 'this someone' was still outside my house, even tho I couldn't see nothing.

"I know it's you Jimin! Come out!"

But nothing. Just the piping sound of the wind passing by.

I squinted my eyes and looked closer to see someone standing right in front of me on the other side of the street.

I took slow steps back, my eyes never leaving the unknown figure.

"S-stop this fucking game and just say what you want!"
I stuttered slightly.

I could barely see the person on the other side, due to the dark. I was about to say something again, when-

"Mommy?"
A soft voice asked.

I turned around only to see Jae standing there rubbing his eyes, which were still closed tightly.

I quickly walked up to him and bend down to cup his face between my hands.

"Honey...didn't I tell you to go to sleep?" I said while kissing him on the cheek.

"Yes-" he yawned in between his words before he added. "But I heard you talking to someone, so I wanted to check." His eyes were still closed as he reached for my hand on his cheek. To hold it in his.

I turned around once more to close the door only to be greeted by a boiling Jimin, standing right in front of me. He tilted his head as his eyes never left mine. And smirked.

There was something sinister about this smirk.

My eyes widened and my body began to shake. What was he gonna do now?

"Long time no see, princess"