Chapter 42

"Megan, can I talk to you?" Rick asks.

"Sure." We walk away to where it was more private but we could still see everyone.

"Thank you for doing that. Both me and Carl feel really guilty about what's happened, I'm honestly really sorry. How I've treated you, I shouldn't of done that."

"It's fine. I just want us to be like we used to be you know." 

"I know." He sighs lightly. "I didn't trust you when you came back because I believed you were dead. I believed you just left Darren to fend for himself, left Carl without someone he looks up to. I was mad at you, but at the same time I was scared. Everything happened so fast, Shane tried to kill me. I kept a secret from everyone, I eventually told them all. They wasn't pleased, after that Darren and even Carl didn't bother talking to me much. Darren would stay with his dad, he used to do the same look you did with Carol. Only he wasn't jealous."

"I'm not jealous. Daryl can do what he wants, I'm not stopping him."

"We both know that's bullshit. You care for him, like he cares for you."

"Whats the secret? I don't know any secrets so." He shifts uncomfortably.

"Well, Jenner back at CDC. He told me you don't have to get bitten or scratched by a walker to get infected. It's in all of us, we all carry it. It's just something simple that can set it off."

"I started to figure that out with what happened at the barn, the kid. His neck was broke, no walker got him. Did Shane do it?"

"Yeah."

"And he tried to kill you, because of me?"

"Not because of you, I had Lori. That's who he's always wanted."

"Even when he was with me?"

"Sadly yes, I know that he did care about you though. Up until we found about you and Daryl having kids. He felt betrayed, he couldn't take it. Don't blame yourself for what he felt or did, it was his own fault. Besides, you was with him when you still had feelings for Daryl. Don't try and deny it, we all knew. Daryl was just oblivious to it."

"He still is." He chuckles.

"Do you want to meet Judith? I know you haven't really had the chance to meet her properly."

"I'd love to."

"Come on then." We walk into the cell block, Carol had Judith in her arms. "How is she?"

"She's okay, just woke up from a nap." Carol smiles.

"Why dont you go get some rest Carol, we got her."

"Are you sure?" She gives me a quick glance.

"Yes im sure." She passes him Judith before walking away. "At least she's quiet."

"Yeah that's a good thing, Darren used to scream the place down. Neighbours moved cause of it."

"Seriously? They moved?" 

"Yeah. I didn't really like them anyway." He laughs.

"Do you want to hold her?"

"Really?" He nods. "I'd love to." He passes me Judith who started to cry as soon as she was in my arms. "Hey, hey sweetie. It's okay." I say softly while rocking her gently. "There we go. I'm not that bad am I?" She soon stops crying.

"You're good with her."

"You learn a thing or two when you bring up two kids by yourself."

"You've done a great job raising them so far." I smile.