Chapter 10

"Darr put me down." Darren holds her tighter.

"Darren... Please." I try.

"Why should I?"

"Because Rachel wants to get down. Let her down please." He looks at everyone who were watching us, he places Rachel down. She looks at me as Darren goes to walk away.

"I'm sorry Darren." He stops but doesn't turn back around. "I'm sorry it took me so long to tell you who your dad was, I'm sorry for all those arguments we had. I'm sorry that when I broke down I left you to look after Rachel that night. I'm sorry for everything, I'm sorry that I've been a crap mum. I'm trying my hardest to be there for you both, trying to protect you. I knew you got bullied, that's why I took you to see your Auntie Laura instead of school so I could sort it out even though you told me not to. I know you hate me especially for not telling you about your dad, I know you hated not having a father figure for 18 years. I know you want to tell Rachel who her dad is." I speak, the others left us to it not wanting to interrupt. Rachel was with Rick and Lori, he turns around and looks at me.

"Get down." He speaks.

"What?" I turn around to see what he was looking at, about a hundred walkers coming our way.

"You two! Under cars now." I look up at the RV to see Dale now laying down flat, we do as he says. Darren looks at me once he was under a car, walkers start passing us.

"Rachel." Darren mouths, I let a tear slip.

"She'll be okay." I mouth back.

"It's sa-" Dale starts before I hear a mixture of two screams, one I knew too well. I hurry from under the car and run to the others only to see Rachel and Sophia being chased by walkers, Rick was running after them.

"No!" I go to run after them but Shane grabs me, Darren tries too but Daryl holds him back. "Let me go!" I yell, Carol was crying into Lori.

"It's okay. Shhh, Ricks got this." Shane tries, I cry into his chest.

"That's my baby girl." After a while Rick comes back.

"Are they here?" Rick demanded. "Sophia and Rachel? Are they here?"

"We thought you had them." Lori speaks, Rick tells us what happened when he followed them.

"My baby." Carol falls to her knees while I cling onto Shane more.

"A few of us will go find them." Rick suggests. "Me, Shane, Daryl and Glenn?" They nod.

"I'm coming." I state.

"Megs no." Daryl gives me a stern look.

"Tha's my daughter! I vowed te' protect 'em both!" He sighs. "Good."

"Please bring her back." Carol cries.

"I'm going too." Darren speaks.

"No." Me and Daryl both say.

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to risk it." I speak. "I thought you was dead. I'm not going through that again." We go before he could say anything.

"I left them right here." Rick says as we reach the spot. "I drew the walker's way off in that direction up the creek."

"Without a paddle. Seems where we've landed." Daryl says.

"They were gone by the time I got here." Rick starts. "I figured they just took off and ran back to the group. I told them to go that way and keep the sun on their left shoulder." We walked through the water back onto the bank.

"Hey short round. Why don't ye' step off te' one side? Yer muckin' up the trail." Daryl snaps at Glenn, he looks down and steps aside.

"Assuming they know their left from right." Shane commented.

"Shane they understood me fine."

"They're tired and scared man. They had a close call with two walkers. Got to wonder how much you said stuck."

"They're both smart Shane." I snap.

"Got clear prints right 'ere they did like ye' said, headed back te' the highway." Daryl speaks. "Let's spread out, make our way back."

"Let's go. They couldn't have gone far." Rick speaks, we carry on walking.

"Hey." Shane says to Rick. "We gonna find them. They'll be tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere." Daryl came to a stop and bends down.

"They were doin' jus' fine till right 'ere. All they 'ad te' do wa' keep going. They veered off tha' way." He sighs.

"Why would they do that?" Asks Glenn.

"Maybe they saw something that spooked them, made them run off." Shane suggested.

"A walker?"

"No, we'd see where it dragged its feet." I speak, Daryl nods in agreement.

"She's right. Its jus' their footprints." We sigh.

"So what do we do? All of us press on?" Shane asks.

"No, better if you and Glenn get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking, let them know we're on their trail and doing everything we can. But most of all, keep everybody calm." Rick replies.

"I'll keep them busy scavenging cars. Think up a few other chores. I'll keep them occupied."

"Megan you coming?" Glenn asks.

"No I gotta keep searching."

"Come on." Shane speaks while looking at me. "Megan..."

"No."

"Darren needs you."

"They both need me."

"Daryl and Rick are on it. Now come on."

"Shane you don't un-"

"Shane's right. You should go too." Rick comments, I give him a look. "I promise we'll find her and Sophia. It'll be easier with just us two." I sigh.

"I can't."

"Why?"

"It's not jus' tha' ye' want te' find 'em but yer' scared aint ya?" Daryl chimes in, I look down.

"Scared of what?" Rick asks as they all look at me.