Chapter 31: Sick Adventure

The rain got worse. It wasn't long before full blown storms approached us. We were all huddled inside the teepee, passing the time with stories and games. I managed to teach everyone how to play poker and black jack.

The Powhatan didn't do much work outside except to cover fragile crops and projects they couldn't bring inside.

We ended up rearranging the inside of our shelter. A blanket was hung so that way it was like I had my own room while the rest of the boys shared one space. I told them that it wasn't a big deal and I didn't mind sharing but they all insisted.

I lied down on the bundle of blankets, hearing the hard drops of rain hit the roof of the tent. I was feeling a bit light headed and went to lie down for a while. I let the chilly air cool my hot skin. I was starting to sweat and I felt dizzy.

I think I had a fever.

I sat up and held my head in my hands. My forehead felt really hot. My whole body felt stiff and achy.

The boys must've heard me rustling in my space and called out to me. "Rion? Are you okay?"

My mouth was so dry and my throat felt so sore. I didn't respond to whoever asked me that question. The blanket was drawn back and I could see several pairs of feet enter my space. My vision was slightly blurry but I could recognize Snowen putting a hand on my forehead.

"She has a fever, maybe something worse if she shows symptoms of more serious illnesses. Right now I think it's just a cold." He diagnosed. His hand felt cool against my head and I kinda wanted him to keep it there for a while. "She needs medicine."

"Do you think we can get some from the people here?" Tianos asked. "They should have a doctor or at least a medicine man with the amount of people that are part of their tribe."

Cinder turned on his heels. "I'm going to ask. Shout if you need me to come back."

Blaise when to get something as well while the other boys stood around me. Snowen gently laid me back down on the blankets. "You just rest for now. Try not to get up unless you really need to. We're going to see what we can do about medicine."

I closed my eyes in response and simply listened to the noise around me. I felt something cool and wet on my forehead. Blaise must've come back with a wet cloth. I could hear more people enter my room, Cinder rambling away to someone. "Her temperature is through the roof and it's possible that it might be more than just a cold. Could you help her?"

There was silence throughout the room except for what I assumed was the doctor. He or she was checking my temperature through my cheek and check my pulse and breathing. "She should be fine after herbal medicine. I will make some now. Calm her breathing. Get her fresh water."

The boys scrambled to fetch anything that I needed to so I could get better. Snowen left to make some medicine with the doctor. Tianos was instructed to stay by my side to help regulate my breathing pattern. "I need you to breath in for seven seconds, hold it for three and then release it for five. Okay?"

I followed his instructions and immediately started to feel a lot calmer. I didn't realize my breathing was so erratic. His hand pushed back the hair that was sticking to my sweaty skin. "You should leave. You could get infected."

"There is no way that I'm leaving you. We have to make sure that you'll get better. We won't be able to do anything without you. I won't be able to do anything without you. Just rest, okay?" He tried to comfort me.

"Thank you, Tianos. I'm going to try to sleep a little now." I gave up. I didn't have the energy to fight. Tianos grabbed another pillow to support my head through the curtain. He slid it under my head, gently helping me gain enough energy to sit up briefly.