Chapter 25: Lantern Adventure

It didn't take long until our horses were ready to rest. We moved at a slower pace and they refused to speed up. We were lucky we could see the first town stop right ahead. The kingdom seemed small yet lively. We crossed the bridge and saw tons of people dancing and celebrating something. There were elegant sun symbols and flowers everywhere.

A little girl walked by us and handed us some flowers. She gestured to put the flowers in our hair. I found it odd but I put the light pink peony behind my ear anyways. She giggled and ran off to hand out more flowers from her basket.

"Hey, Blaise! Do you know if it's a special day for them here?" Aries asked, adjusting his white lily in his hair.

"Why do you just assume I know everything?"

He shrugged. "Because you usually do?"

I snickered. I couldn't argue against that logic. Blaise rolled his eyes. "Well, I don't. We'll have to talk to some locals to find out what they are celebrating. Why don't you go ask, Aries? Since you're so curious and all."

Aries took his suggestion and walked up to a citizen that was handing out flags. We watched them chat and smile for a little bit. Aries walked back over and held up the small purple flag. "This is their kingdom's symbol. Today they celebrate the return of their lost prince and his new soon-to-be wife."

"He was kidnapped at birth and so they dedicated this day to him in hopes he will return. They send lanterns into the sky at night and hoped that he would eventually realize that they were for him. The prince came back today after eighteen years with a girl who apparently found him stuck in a secret tower. Pretty neat, huh?" He explained.

It was indeed a neat story. "I want to see these people!" I exclaimed. I wanted to meet this girl who saved the prince from the tower. Was she a knight like me?

"But, Rion, you sai-"

"I know what I said. It won't kill use to just stay for a little bit. It would be rude of us to leave while they celebrated anyways. It's like leaving a party when it's not over yet. Just for a little while I want to see what this is all about." I interrupted Blaise.

He sighed. I smirked. "Alright! Let's go have a some fun!"

We all dropped off our horses to rest and began to split up throughout the town's square, blending in with the citizens. I was dragged into some dancing circles and let some children put even more flowers in my hair. Cupcakes, sandwiches and other snacks were served freely and several spots on the concrete were being drawn on with chalk. Everything was so cheerful and bright. I ended up enjoying myself more than I could ever imagine.

I was resting by a large water fountain. I watched all the kids run around and play. My eyes suddenly caught a familiar red-head. Aries was letting some girls braid his hair and the boys pulled on his arm to get up.

He began to chase them around the area after the girl was finished. I smiled and got up from the fountain ledge. As I approached the kids, someone lightly patted my arm. "Tag! You're it!"

All the kids scattered away from me and I smirked. I ran and chased the kids closest to me. I slowed my pace to let them get away. The game wouldn't be fun if I tagged everyone else immediately. Aries was darting around in front of me, mocking me.

Well if that's how he wants to play, I'll play his way.

I focused on his and picked up my pace. His eyes widened in slight fear and excitement. He sprinted away from me, dodging around other people. I weaved through the crowd as well. Most of the citizens just giggling to themselves, happy to see us having fun.