Chapter 11: Underwater Adventure

I kept afloat in the water as I thought about our next move. We have no boat, the pirates probably haven't realized their captain is gone so they won't come back anytime soon, and we were in the middle of the sea. To say that I was panicking was an understatement. Ideas floated around in my head in a mess. "Is there anyway we can use magic, Snowen?"

He shook his head, "I may be powerful, but not powerful enough to guide us all to land. I'm sorry, Rion."

Alright, no magic. That's off the list.

"Blaise, did you happen to look at our last coordinated or a map before we were captured?"

"I briefly looked at the map, but not the compass. If I had to guess however, we are about 150 miles from our destination. There is no way we would be able to swim that far. And that's not even thinking about weather, food, and fresh water," he explained.

Well, I'm stumped. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do in this situation. I was trained in some medicine, shipbuilding, and sword fighting. What to do if I was ever stuck in the middle of the flipping ocean was something they probably thought would never happen. Needless to say, this sucks.

I noticed Aries raise his hand slightly, "I have an idea."

"Well, what is it?" I asked.

He reached under the water and pulled out a small tin box. He opened it to reveal small, pink, pearls made of sugar. He gesture for Cinder to take it and eat it. "How is candy going to help with this situation?" he protested.

"They're mermaid pearls, stupid. They'll help you guys breath underwater." he explained. "Everyone take one and then we can swim down to Atlantis. Oh, and try to keep hush about this. We technically aren't supposed to exist."

I was completely dumbfounded. Mermaids? Atlantis? Everyone else seemed as baffled as I was. But, we didn't really have any other option, and so the pearls were passed around for consumption. When it finally got to me, Aries snatched it back.

"These are hard to come by and I stole them, so I don't want to waste them. Rion, you don't need any."

"Oh? And why is that?"

He gave me a toothy smile. "Because I kissed you. The kiss from a mermaid or merman automatically gives you special abilities. I basically saved your life and you're welcome!"

I want to kill this kid so badly.

I ignored his cheekiness and dove down to test my new ability. I took a deep breath or oxygen and exhaled, watching the air bubbles float to the top. The rest of the boys followed suit to practice as well.

Cinder was struggling a little bit. He would breath every so often but then natural instincts would kick in and he would hold his breath, causing him to choke. Blaise took his time with deep breathes and Snowen also tried to relax as best as he could. Aries on the other hand was growing impatient and wanted to get a move on.

"You guys have all day to learn how to breath, so let's go!" he spat. I noticed that he no longer had pants or any legs for that matter. Instead, a shimmering green fish tail waved back and forth.

None of us argued against him since he was the one leading now. We swam through the ocean slowly, trying to get our bearings. I took the time to observe my surroundings. Schools of fish swam rapidly, seaweed danced along the current, and I can hear the clicking of dolphins using their echolocation to find food. Everything was a painting of vibrant blues and greens. It was breathtaking.

"Are there any side effects to the pearls? You know, like fever, or burning at the legs?" Blaise inquired with a sarcastic tone. Now that he mentioned it, I was starting to feel my legs burn a little too.