Chapter 8: Ship Adventure

The streets were extremely busy. So many people were hustling and bustling about, trying to complete their work on time. Many of the workers were men. Buff, scruffy men. It was almost intimating how serious everyone was. I tapped on a man's shoulder that seemed to be taking a break. "Excuse me, sir. Could you direct us to the nearest ship seller?"

The man scoffed at me. "Why would a woman want to buy a ship for? Don't you know that's man's work? Beat it, lady."

The boys were about to jump to my defense, but I held my hand up.

I pulled out my Knight's crest, "Sir, I really don't think you should speak to me in that manner. Let's try again, shall we? Where is the nearest ship seller?"

The man smacked his lips. "I see that you believe that you have authority here. Trust me, you don't. This land is man's land. I'll direct you, but you won't be able to do anything once you get there. Ole' Ulysses won't listen to any woman. Down North Street, right into Sea Fangs."

I didn't bother arguing with the guy. I understood that this was a more conservative town. I felt all eyes on me as we walked down the street. Their eyes were filled with confusion and scorn. We entered the Sea Fangs casually. The walls were covered in ship memorabilia and pictures of men. It reeked of salt and wood.

"Hello? Anyone here?" I shouted.

"Aye, I'm here! Don't shout for the love of-" an old man stepped out from the back door. He had a white scruff reaching from his upper lips to his neck. Wrinkles covered his face and he was thinning. The clothes he wore were dirty and billowy. He seemed spry for someone his age.

"A woman. Last time I spoke to a woman was when my wife left thirteen years ago. Leave. All of you." He pointed to the door. 

"Mr. Ulysses, we need a ship in order to-" I tried to explain myself, but he began to charge at me. I stood my ground, preparing to draw my sword. He stopped right in front of me to look me in the eyes. I was shocked to see that he was blind.

Ulysses seemed to look me over somehow, "What would a woman like you know anything about ships. You're voice sounds powerful, but not knowledgeable. Tell me, do you know how to steer a ship? Clean a ship? Treat a ship?"

"I do."

"Ha!" he laughed. "So she says. Tell me who taught you then? Your father? Some oldie? You smell of land and dirt, not the sea. No one could have possibly taught you properly." he mocked, reaching for a container that hung at his waist. He raised it to his lips, taking a swig. It was probably rum.

"I learned from an expert, actually. His name was Adalberto Rigoberto." I crossed my arms and smirked as he did a spit-take. Ulysses coughed uncontrollably and wiped away the liquid dripping down the corners of his mouth. 

Cinder gave me a a confused expression. Snowen and Blaise seemed to be in disbelief. 

"How do you know Adalberto Rigoberto?" Ulysses questioned.

"I was traveling on the coast when I saw him. His own ship crashed against the shore. Rigo couldn't possibly rebuild on shore by himself. I offered to help out. He taught me how to build a ship. I know what makes it turn, what's the best wood to use, the best sail, everything. We sailed to a few islands before he finally sailed away to continue his adventure."

Everyone was quiet. Ulysses took another drink of rum from his flask. "Rigoberto was my right hand man. We've been best friends for 42 years. One day, he upped and left. But when he was here, he was the best craftsman anyone has ever seen. He could build a boat with some twigs. It was a work of art." he turned to me suddenly. "Show me what he taught you. I'll give you a chance even if you are a woman. If Rigoberto liked you, then you must be good enough. Tomorrow before sunrise, you better be here ready to build."