Chapter 19: Moonlight Adventure

I peeked around the tents to look at the soldiers all lined up in a row. They seemed like an odd set for the war. I would've never considered enlisting them if I had the choice. Mun-Wah stood in front of the men and began lecturing them. "A soldier means to never back down from the fight. Even when times seem grim, they will always stand up for the sake of their fellow comrades and honor."

I sat on a crate and watched the scene unfold. Mun-Wah tossed some bamboo sticks into the air. The men caught them. "Training starts today. There will be no slacking off."

One of the men caught my eye and continued to stare at me. Mun-Wah looked toward my direction and frowned. "You are distracting my men. Leave."

"I just came to watch. If your men are distracted by a girl then they need more training than you think." I retorted. He groaned.

"Ignore her. Start sparring with a partner and I'll do individual training one at a time. Go!" He instructed. I watched the men whack their sticks against each other and try to dodge. It was disorganized and frankly hilarious. I couldn't help but stifle a giggle. One of the soldiers noticed my laughter and reddened. These guys were a mess.

"Something hilarious, Orion?" Mun-Wah asked, almost seething.

"Yeah. Your men need help." I bluntly answered. "I can help train them if you want."

He scoffed. "Don't you have somewhere else to be? Didn't you say you had to travel?"

I shrugged. "Yeah, but I think that I have some time to spare for today. They should understand if it's something as important as war. You could use the extra help. You're only one man."

"And you are only one woman. What could you know about fighting? All of us are stronger than you. Why do you think no women are enlisted in our army?"

I smirked. "Fight me."

"What?"

"You heard me." I jumped off of the crate and approached him. "Fight me. Don't hold back either. I'll show you what this woman can do."

He grumbled and complained before handing me a bamboo stick. It was a little heavier than I thought but I was sure that I would get used to it. I stood in a battle stance, waiting for him to strike first. He immediately went for my legs and spun the stick around.

This style of fighting was totally different then what I learned back home. This type of style seemed to flow better and involved more movement instead of powerful strikes. I fell back onto the dirt trying to dodge the hit.

"You said don't hold back." Mun-Wah mocked. I got back up and twirled the stick in my hand.

"I did say that, didn't I."

I lunged after him just as he was about to respond, he moved out of the way. I took note to start more slashing motions instead of thrusts. I also learned that I had to use both the bottom and top half of the bamboo. We sparred for a while until I final had a good idea.

I threw my bamboo straight at him, causing him to lose focus and look at my weapon. As it whizzed by his head I ran forward and socked him in the jaw. He lost his firm grip on his stick from the sudden contact and stole it from him. I held it up against his neck.

I beamed. "Looks like I won. My offer to help train your men still stands."

Mun-Wah moved the stick away from his neck. "I'm actually impressed. Where did you learn to fight?"

"I have a mentor back home, Royce. He taught me everything I know. I forgot to mention to you that I'm a knight. Sword fighting is my specialty." I casually explained. I handed him the bamboo stick.