Chapter 24: Balcony Adventure

Damn, it feels good to be a hero. Aside from getting medals and being friends with the emperor lots of people gathered around to praise us and ask us questions. Most of the little kids ran around our legs, pretending to sword fight. The princes and I were asked many questions about our ethnicity and where we come from as well as our hobbies.

"Miss! Miss! Why is your hair so short? Do you not like long hair?" A little girl pulled on my sleeve.

I brushed my hair with my fingers. "I like long hair but it's hard to ride a horse or fight when there's hair in my face. It's a lot cooler too. But if I ever do grow my hair out I hope it looks like yours."

She beamed at me and continued to run around with her doll. Many of the younger boys were also intrigued by my accomplishments. It was amusing to see some of the princes fumble around with their answers. Most of them weren't used to being around kids while some were a natural. Aries seemed to fit right in with them.

The emperor set up rooms for us to stay in inside his palace and had the chefs cook a feast. As much as I told him he didn't have to go through such lengths he insisted. As we waited for the food to be served we were relaxing with cups of tea and small snacks.

"A knight, huh? We don't get many of those around here. What kinds of activities do you normally do?" The emperor asked, stroking with long white beard. I shrugged, popping another cookie into my mouth.

"I usually do small quests or explore the area. I often train or drink at my favorite bar too. It gives me a lot of opportunities to meet new people." I explained.

"I see. And what about you, Prince Cinder? What do you usually do back in your kingdom?"

Cinder set down his teacup. "I normally socialize with the people and learn about politics. I plan to follow my father's footsteps so being able to run the kingdom like he did would be great. Our kingdom is already prosperous it's just a matter of keeping it that way. Hopefully the people will be able to admire me the same way they admire my father."

The emperor nodded. "How commendable. Prince Aries, you are quite young. What do you plan on doing in the future? Are you going to take over your kingdom?"

"Well, I had a bit of a rough start in life but maybe someday I'll be mature enough to understand politics and advise people. I don't think I want to be a king full-time though. I like to explore and play and socialize. I imagine myself being a fun yet responsible king in the future." He admitted. I was impressed by his answer.

The emperor chuckled. "Your response is already mature through my ears. I think you are well on your way to be an ideal leader. I don't doubt that many people will look up to you. Prince Blaise?"

He cleared with throat and wiped his mouth that was covered with cookie crumbs. "Ahem. I often spent my time reading in the royal library. I don't know my father too well and I am more interested in science instead of politics. I try to take my time to learn all there is to know however. Perhaps I can become an inventor or teacher instead of a king. I don't think I would be a great ruler at all."

"Ah, but you are humble. That in itself is a great kingly quality. I'm sure you'll be able to do both if you tried hard enough."

The emperor turned his attention to Prince Tianos. He smiled. "I plan on running a restaurant. Palace life isn't for me. I just want to dance, cook, and make people happy."

"You cook? I don't think I ever attempted to cook in my life." Prince Jasem confessed. "My father has always been on the strict side. When I become sultan I want to give my people freedom and expand our trade with other countries. I also want to meet my people, find out what they want face-to-face. I plan to become an active and efficient sultan."