Chapter 14: Frog Adventure

"Alright guys, my job keeps getting easier and easier. I actually bumped into the prince yesterday and promised to meet him again today to hear his answer." I explained, slipping my new boots on. "You can come with me, but we really need to get a move on. Stopping to have fun isn't on my agenda today."

Aries perked his head up. "What was the prince like? Was he nice? Was he kind and gentle like Cinder and Blaise? or mean like Snowen?"

Snowen glared at him and hit him on the back of his head. "Children should only speak when directly spoken to."

Aries stuck his tongue out at him. I scowled at both of them. "Stop it. And yes, the prince is pretty nice. He isn't like most princes I met. Prince Tianos is actually pretty independent from his family."

"What does that mean?" Blaise looked up from his book, adjusting his new glasses. 

I grabbed my new satchel and slung it over my shoulder. "He works at a local restaurant to earn money. He isn't dependent on his parents. Are you guys going to keep asking questions or come to find out yourselves?"

I was followed out the door and into the streets. It wasn't as busy as yesterday. In fact, it was practically empty save for a few stragglers. "Hey Blaise, do you know if there is a holiday today or something?"

"I don't think so. The streets shouldn't be deserted like this."

That doesn't sound good. We walked a little ways down the streets, keeping our guards up. I kept my hand near my knife.

"What a lovely young lady." A dark figure called from the ally. His voice sent shivers down my spine. "Would the lady like her fortune told? Wouldn't you like to know if that lovely face stays pretty forever?"

I figured out the main reason no one was out on the streets. Witch doctors must've come to town. "No thank you, sir. We'll just get a move on."

"But-"

"Bye!" I rushed away, making sure that the princes followed. "No matter what they say, you can not take part of their deals. Nothing good comes from these kind of doctors. I trust you guys won't actually be stupid enough to talk to them. 

Aries walked faster to catch up to me. "Why can't we talk to them?"

"They will ruin your life. They may convince you that they are helping, but they make things far worse than they were before. Never trust them. There is only a small handful worth talking to."

"Rion?" Snowen spoke. "You talk like you know from experience. Is there something you wanna tell us?"

I stopped in my tracks. I decided to ignore Snowen's inquiries to scan the area for the right street. I moved forward to the restaurant. Like the rest of the town, it was deserted. I strolled in. Not even the chef was present. "You guys stay here just in case anyone comes in. I'm going to check the back real quick."

Before the boys could speak, I headed to the garden. No one was here. I shrugged and opened the door to go back inside.

"Pssst! Rion!" a voice whispered. I recognized that voice. I turned my head, but I couldn't see anyone. 

"Tianos?"

"Down here."

I looked down at my feet to see a small green frog. He was looking straight up at me. "Um, hi."

My eyes grew wide in shock. I knelt down to his level. "Tianos? What the hell happened? Why are you suddenly a frog? Wait. You got mixed up with the witch doctors, didn't you? What in the world made you think that was a good idea?"