Chapter 22: Dancing Adventure

I stared up at the stars from the top of my caravan, thinking about what transpired over the past few days. Things between me and the boys gotten awkward so it was a bit of relief to see Cinder, Snowen, and Blaise head on the other path for the other side of the mountains.

Aries, Jasem, and Tianos were the ones left on my side. They didn't approach me much and General Mun-Wah was busy most of the time. I had a lot to think about as I walked alone.

I thought about what Snowen said about the whole when we were kids thing. I tried hard to remember any signs of his presence in my childhood memories but I couldn't think of anything. I had no memory of Snowen being my friend when I was younger. Tiredness overwhelmed me and I closed my eyes to sleep.

"Rion! Are you an idiot? You're mother is going to be furious at you!" A little boy with black hair and pale skin stomped his foot at me.

I shrugged. "It's only mud. Besides, the dress was ugly anyways. You don't know my mom like I do."

"Any mother would be angry with their child playing in the mud during a ball no less! My stepmother would've given me a time-out if I tried it."

I stuck my tongue out at him, tasting a bit of the mud that dripped down my face. Some other kid dared me to jump in the mud thinking that I wouldn't do it. Boy did I prove him wrong. The flustered boy grabbed my hand and dragged me around the palace. "You're so spiteful! Let's hurry and clean you up before our mothers find us."

I followed him to the royal bathroom and sat down on the edge of the tub. He grabbed some soap and a washcloth while some warm water ran. I turned my head  as the cloth approached my face. He forcibly grabbed my chin. "Quit being stubborn!"

He began to clean my face with the washcloth and soap while I pouted. At first he was harsh and it irritated my skin but then he became gentle and sighed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I just don't want us to get in trouble."

"I know. I'm sorry too." I wiped some of my long, muddy hair out of my face. "But the party was getting boring."

He chuckled. "Yeah, it kinda was. You should still present yourself more as a sophisticated lady though. You are princess after all."

"About that, I was thinking that I want to be a knight instead. They're cool and help people."

"Princesses and queens do that too."

I waited to speak while he washed my mouth. "I want to find a dragon. I want to learn how to sword fight. I want to go outside and explore everything!"

He shook his head. "You can get hurt that way."

Before I could answer the door opened to reveal my mother and the boy's stepmother. His stepmother grew angry while my mother stifled her laughter.

"Orion! You're so dirty! Snowen, get away from her before you get mud on your pants."

"Oh, Grimhilde, let them be. They're just children. The party was boring for them anyways. Come here, Rion." My mother beckoned me.

I hopped off the edge of the tub and ran to her. She pulled me into her arms and spun me around, getting mud everywhere. I laughed as she kissed my dirty cheeks. Queen Grimhilde had a face of disgust. "They say that mud is good for the skin, Grimhilde." My mother defended.

Snowen was grabbed by his stepmother who was exiting the bathroom. "Don't invite us to another one of your dirty parties again. We won't be attending."

"Rion, are you awake?" a voice woke me up. I sleepily rubbed my eyes and looked down. Tianos was walking beside my caravan. 

I yawned. "I am now. What's up? Do you need anything?"