Chapter 29: Waterfall Adventure

I walked alongside my horse, working out my legs from the long ride. Some of the other princes decided to walk as well. I could tell that they were all growing tired and ready to rest. I looked at the map and sighed. We still had a long way to go. The sky was getting darker from rain clouds every minute.

"How much longer until we can stop?" Aries groaned. He began to drag his feet and leaned against his horse. 'It's been hours and we haven't seen anything that wasn't a tree."

"I know. It gonna be a few more hours until we get where we need to be. Just hang on until then, okay?" I assured him. Before he could respond we started to hear the sounds of light rainfall.

The cool water droplets started to come in contact with our skin. It was light and refreshing but by the end of the trip we'll be soaked. "Let's pick up the pace. We wouldn't want anyone to get sick from the rain."

I led the group of men through the forest as the drizzle became heavier. I draped a cloak over my shoulders, starting to feel the chill from having wet skin exposed to cool winds. I was annoyed to feel that my cloak was a little damp.

I felt my cloak being gently lifted off my shoulders, a much warmer and dry one replacing it. "Here. Mine is dry. For right now at least." Jasem offered. I pulled the cloak shut and smiled at him.

"Thanks, Jasem. I feel better already."

It didn't take long for the drizzling rain to penetrate through Jasem's cloak. I noticed that the drops were getting bigger. "Blaise, you weren't kidding when you said there'll be a storm. We have to make a detour. There's a nearby village that should give us some shelter from the rain for a while."

Some of them sighed with relief while the rest sighed with exasperation. I ignored their grumbles and made a left towards shelter. The forest became lusher and I noticed strange markings on the trees. The air felt heavier. More spiritual.

I heard some rustling and stopped walking. My horse stopped with me and neighed. I listened carefully for more movement. My knife was pulled out just as I heard a stick snap. "Who's there?"

Several women and men popped their heads up from the greenry. We were completely surrounded by people with red paint on their skins and feathers on their clothes. They held spears and knives, ready to fight.

The princes braced themselves and waited for my word. I slipped my knife back in my boot and put my hands up. There was no need to fight if it wasn't necessary. "We're friendly. We are just looking for shelter from the rain."

A few of them whispered with each other before putting their own weapons away. A man hesitantly approached me and looked us over. He nodded and motioned for us to follow. I looked at the boys and shrugged. "Might as well see where this takes us."

We followed the natives through the forest, some of them looking through our bags and speaking about us in their native tongue. I didn't bother trying to express my discomfort. They were just curious.

They led us to an area with tents and various craft sets already put up. Drums, canoes, and other equipment lied in the rain's way. We were instructed to stand in one place while someone went into a large tent. He came back out with another man who was much taller than the others.

What I assumed was the leader of the tribe stared at me. His eyes were piercing and made me anxious. I remain steady however, careful not to show signs of disrespect. The leader spoke to me in a language I couldn't understand. I looked towards the princes to see if any of them understood.

"Um, I'm Knight Orion Hart. It's a pleasure to meet you, sir." I started, hoping that he'll realize that we didn't speak the same language. His eyes widened and he cleared his throat.