Chapter 13: Orleans Adventure

I woke up with a ray of sunshine from the window hitting my face. I groaned and pulled the covers over my head. I knew I had to get up eventually, but I just wanted to stay in bed for a little while longer. I could hear the bustling on the streets. People were chatting, laughing and dancing. I jumped out of bed when a sudden horn started blowing from the street below.

I guess that was my official wake up call.

I left the room and headed down to the front of the inn. I didn't see any of the princes on my way down, nor in the small dining area. I figured that they were going to do their own thing and hopefully they weren't getting kidnapped. The dining hall was serving sausages and coffee for breakfast. I was craving something a little sweeter and decided to head into town.

The town was busier than I imagined. I don't think I've ever see so many people at once in my life! Men, women, and even children roamed the streets. Some were trying to get to work, some trying to sight-see and some dancing to the street performers. It was unbelievable. 

The music that resonated throughout the city was more upbeat and smooth. I was so used to either classic ballroom music or bar music. I grinned as I walked down the stone streets. I tapped a local on the shoulder. "Excuse me, do you know which place here has the best sweets for breakfast?"

The man turned around to face me. He had a curly black beard and dark freckles that covered his cheeks. "Adalberto?"

He removed the pipe he was smoking from his mouth. "Rion!" Rigoberto swept me up in his arms in a tight hug. I was surprised his old bones could lift me so high. "I thought I would never see my little knight again! What are you doing here, girly?"

I laughed. "I should be asking you that. I'm on a quest and your dancing it up. But I'm so happy to see that you are doing well. Ulysses has be-"

"Wait, you met Ulysses?" he interrupted. "That must've been a long couple of days. I'm sure he warmed up to you though. Let's move away from the instruments, hm? I know a nice place that sells the best beignets in the business! We can talk to our hearts content there."

We weaved through the busy roads and stumbled upon a small store. It was packed the brim, but it was quieter than out there. Adal strolled past the line and up to the counter. "Old man Rigo wants a full plate of beignets in the flowers!" he shouted.

The chef in the back ran out of the kitchen to greet us. "Right this way!"

We were led to the back of the kitchen and through a door. A small garden with high walls surrounded us. Not many people were here and it seemed to be almost sound proof. We were sat across from each other and promised that our food will be delivered shortly. 

Rigoberto propped himself on his elbows. "So, how has my Rion been doing? You were on a quest you said?"

I leaned forward. "You know me, Adal. I'm always doing something. I was sent from my kingdom to prepare for Princess Ava's marriage. She's looking for a husband. I traveled to the nearest kingdoms and then sailed here. But then again, that's what I'm supposed to be doing. You are supposed to be home. What are you doing here?"

The old man snickered. "I'm getting old and I still got places I wanna see. Ulysses was always more secluded and introverted. He wouldn't have survived handling different culture all at once. He also wouldn't understand me leaving. So I left and that's it. What else is there to be said?"

"He's saving wine for your return." I mentioned as the chef put down a hot plate of fresh pastries. I took one for myself and ate the sweet, sticky goodness.

"Wine? I'll have to return before he ends up drinking the bottle himself then. Is he still bitter?"

I grabbed another beignet. "Not as much as he was before. Ulysses was really hurt when you left without a word. He told me that you were best friends and partners. Your disappearance put him a tight spot for the business and for his reputation."