Chapter 30: Dining Adventure

I couldn't believe I lost. I sputtered and coughed from the water being splashing into my mouth. "For a desert boy you certainly know how to make a splash. I give up."

Jasem raised his arms up in victory. He was proud of himself. I rolled my eyes at his victory dance and sat on the edge of the water. He stared at me with a smirk on his face as I began to ring out my shirt.

"What?"

"Winner gets a favor, remember? I think I want to cash that it right now if you don't mind." He swam up and rested his arms on my lap. I simply shook my head to dry my hair like a dog. I was a little bitter that I lost.

He continued to stare up at me, waiting for my answer. "Alright. What's the favor?"

"I think I want a kiss." He confessed. A slight blush crept along his tan cheeks but he remained confident. I shook my head.

"No way." I refused.

He shook his head right back. "Winner gets the favor! You owe me. The least you could do is fulfill your promise. I'll be taking that kiss now."

I groaned and buried my head in my hands at the ridiculous request. "Can't you ask for something less embarrassing? Why a kiss?"

"I think you know why."

My heart sped up and a blush began to creep up along my cheeks as well. "One quick kiss and that's it, Jasem."

A spark of excitement flashed in his eyes. He waited patiently while I prepared myself. "C-close your eyes." I ordered, stammering my words. He complied and shut his eyes. This was so embarrassing but a deal's a deal.

I leaned down and tilted my head. I closed my own eyes as I gave him a quick peck on the cheek. I pulled back and watched his surprised reaction. "I meant a kiss on the lips! Not a cheek kiss!"

"Hey, you didn't specify that. I gave you what you wanted, didn't I?" I justified myself.

He muttered something under his breath before hopping out of the water. He shivered from the sudden chill. I got up from my spot and stretched. "We should head back. The guys will probably be looking for us since we skipped work and everything. Besides, it's getting colder so we should go warm up by a fire."

Jasem got up and rubbed his arms for warmth. "Yeah, you're right. I would hate it if both of us caught a cold."

We made our way back to the corn fields and followed the rest of the Powhatan back to the teepees. Everyone was preparing for dinner. The smell of cooked fish and corn gave it away. It smelled heavenly.

My stomach grumbled at the smell which made Jasem laugh. "When was the last time you eaten?"

"It's been awhile, okay? Bread and jerky fill me with energy but it doesn't add much to the fullness factor. It's been awhile since I've had fresh fish too. What wouldn't I give to sink my teeth into some juicy carp or yellow perch right now." I admitted. My mouth began to water from the thought.

"Alright, alright! You're starting to make me hungry too. We should see if we can do anything to speed up the cooking process. The faster the better." Jasem laughed. I nodded and headed over to a group of people shucking corn.

I sat down next to one of them and offered to help. They smiled and handed me a few ears of corn to start with. I put the husks into a large bowl which was set in the middle for disposal. Jasem joined me, shucking and pulling the silk strings.

It wasn't long until all the corn was cleaned and put over the fire to roast. Man, I was starving. Coincidently, someone handed me a stick with some cooked fish on it. I looked at Jasem who was waiting for me to take it. "Don't worry, I didn't steal it. They're handing them out right now to the others."