Chapter 1

I stretched my legs as I continued what I was doing, cutting eggplants. The kitchen smelt divine and my stomach growled.

I slid the cut purple vegetables in to the large stock pot as I moved onto slicing and dicing capsicum.

It was only 10am but I was exhausted for the day. I've been up since 5am and starting at 5:30, prepping vegetables.

"How's the Ratatouille coming?" Mark, the head chef asked as he looked over my shoulder.

"Excellent Sir." I smiled as I moved onto the next capsicum.

"Get Katy to finish. Come with me to my office."

I placed the sharp knife down and called out to Katy.

She quickly took over as I wiped my hands on my apron and followed Mark.

Mark closed the door behind me and indicated that I sit down.

"Now Terra. As you know I've had this business up for sale for a while now."

I nodded, eyes wide. Has he sold it? Mark was the head chef and owner.

"I had to make a few adjustments to sell the place. I've sat and spoke to the new owner and we have come to an agreement."

My heart stopped. "Are you firing me?"

Mark looked shocked. "Oh God. Is that what that speech sounded like?" Then he laughed. "No. The owner wants to change this restaurant around a bit, focusing more on Australian dishes, whereas I did ethnic. He has read all the resumes and I had forgotten you are a qualified pastry chef."

I nodded. I've been here for four years. I started here just months before finishing all my practical and theory studies.

Mark looked at me with a smile." The new owner, Mr Caine, was highly impressed by your work ethics. Both him and I agreed that you have been promoted to pastry chef."

My jaw dropped. Wait what? A smile very slowly came on my face.

"You will finish this week as a cook and starting next Monday, you will begin your new job position. Come in Sunday morning for a head staff meeting. It will be my last, but you will meet Mr Caine."

I nodded eagerly. "Of course."

I stood up. "Thank you Mark." Mark nodded.

I went back to my station to finish the Ratatouille, but found it done and on one of the stove tops.

Ethan was in charge of it now. I dumped all the dirty dishes in the closest sink and pulled out a fresh board and knife.

I couldn't stop smiling. I got promoted! This was amazing! I made a mental note to ring my mother when I got home.

I set myself up to make our restaurants home made Alfredo sauce.

I crushed and sliced and grated everything needed and placed it into the appropriate bowls as I passed it onto Ethan.

"Terra!"

I turned to Mark. "Yes Chef?" All formality back again.

"Start making the pasta."

"Yes Chef." I nodded as I went to collect the ingredients.

I placed them all on to another table away from where all the main meals were getting prepared.

"Gav, start tenderizing the steaks. Dale, I want those sauces getting started on. Chloe, start scaling the fish and filleting them. Perry, get on to those cakes..." Matt's voiced boomed with several choruses of Yes Chef.