Troubles, Can't You Give Us a Break

I heard a strange beeping and I flicked my ears upward. "What's wrong," I asked as I saw Storm and Logan rush over the controls and try and turn them on and off.

"The vertical engines won't fire," Scott gasped as he pressed numerous buttons on the panel but nothing was working.

"We could push it," suggested Thruster as he spread out his wings and his shoulders rippled to show his power and I felt affection surge through me. He was so strong and I knew he could protect me in case of danger.

"It's to heavy," I argued as I leaned forward and licked his cheek. "Besides the engine could kill us quickly."

Thruster sighed and nodded as he looked toward Poultice as he strode forward. He looked up at me with round eyes. "Starlight," he whimpered as he pointed toward Keen. The small pup was laying limp on the Professor's lap. The Professor stroked him as he tried to comfort him but he couldn't take the pain away, at least not for long.

I strode toward the Professor and whimpered as I touched my nose to Keen's burning head. "Will he live," I asked Thruster as he strode toward me and it seemed like we were both oblivious to whatever was going on around us.

Thruster sighed and looked up to the Professor who was trying to snap out of the haze he was in. "If I can get him back to the school I may be able to save him," he murmured as he stroked Keen's head with his massive paw. "He's ingested contaminated water that can be fatal but I think that I can counterbalance the negative effects."

I just nodded and turned back to Poultice. I lowered my head so that he could look into my eyes. "I think Keen will be alright with a little help," I murmured as I touched my nose to his ear affectionately.

He suddenly took a step back. "A-And Mirage," he stammered as his voice cracked when he tried to speak.

I licked the roof of my mouth as I struggled to think about what to say and I couldn't think of it. Luckily to my surprise the Professor cut in. "Now is not the time," he told Poultice in his usual kind and deep voice.

Poultice nodded in understanding and I ushered him toward a seat beside the Professor. I then turned back to the group that was trying to get the jet back in the air. I flicked my ears. "The water's coming," I hissed as my eyes narrowed to slits. "We have to get out of here!"

Jean suddenly began panting and I sensed her heart rate picking up. She suddenly turned and I was about to stand in her way but I thought better of it. I looked up to her and she telepathically communicated with me.

'It's okay Starlight. I know what I am doing and I am doing this for everyone on this jet. Logan is very lucky to have you. He needs you not me,' she told me telepathically and I felt fear claw at my heart.

She suddenly stepped out of the jet and took down the incline. "Jean," called Scott as he darted forward. The jet door closed and he pounded it from the inside but it wouldn't open. "Lower it!"

I surged forward and Thruster strode forward as well. We pushed him away before the jet began to shake. It rose off the ground and I felt my breath gasp in my throat. My eyes darted around madly and I whimpered as I felt the jet soaring higher and higher into the air.

"What's she doing," wailed Scott as he struggled to see what Jean was doing.

"She's getting us out of here," murmured Thruster as he closed his eyes in grief. He knew what was happening.

"You have to get her back," Logan snarled at Kurt and Kurt looked up to Logan in horror.

His eyes turned troubled before he looked up to Logan. "She's not letting me," he confessed as his eyes clouded in his own grief.