Wandering the Hallways

I strode through the hallways, my eyes adjusting to the lack of light. I licked my lips and tasted the sour tang of my breath. I sighed before I pricked my ears. "I think I hear TV."

Logan frowned. "This late at night?"

"You said yourself that not everyone sleeps here at night," I recalled as I padded forward, trying to find the room that the noise was coming from. It seemed like the clicking of a TV, changing the channels quite swiftly.

Logan seemed as curious as I was too. I turned into a room and saw a bit of a pudgier kid with very round and thick glasses. I turned to the TV and saw a glimpse of a man shove a dog into a crate while it's puppies were left behind, wailing. The breath was caught in my throat but the boy quickly changed the channel.

I then noticed that he didn't have a remote in his hands. I noticed that every time he blinked he changed the channel. It went from a senator speaking to some guys acting stupid and prancing around.

"'Can't sleep," the boy asked, still looking at the TV.

"What about you," I asked, redirecting the question on him. I was thinking about saying something about us being the only guardians but even the Professor slept at night.

"I don't sleep," the kid replied flattly and dismissively.

Logan's eyes widened a bit at his attitude but his tone didn't leave room to argue. He just lowered his hand and scratched me behind my color and my dog tags jingled. "Come on," Logan urged before he turned and began to stalk forward.

I pushed forward, my tail tip flicking. I strode at Logan's side, brushing against his leg a bit so I could make sure he was beside me. I was looking at my paws so Logan jabbed his leg against my flank sharply.

"What," I asked a bit in confusion.

He threw his head to the kitchen where we had eaten our diner. The light was on so I just thought that some kid was irresponsible and left the light on. However I heard someone shuffling around in there so I pricked my ears.

"I think someone is in there," I whispered as I lowered into an attack crouch and stalked forward.

Logan darted forward a bit and touched a hand to my neck. "Wait! It's a student not a murder," Logan pointed out as he yanked me back by the scruff a bit.

I staggered backwards and shook my head to clear it, realizing that I was still thinking that in the battle. "S-Sorry," I stammered as I plastered my ears against my head.

Logan just nodded and I let him go first. I didn't want to attack him again so I hung back. Once he was a few paces ahead I followed him. I tried not to make anymore foolish decisions. I suddenly thought of the conversation that Logan and I had had about a week ago....