Unwanted Company

I pushed myself in. I pricked my ears and heard that Rouge, Bobby, and Poultice were upstairs. I didn't want to know what they were doing so I didn't ask. I just pushed forward, gritting my teeth. I wanted so badly to just stay at the school. I wanted to just settle down and actually have a normal life.

I knew that wouldn't happen, ever. I was a mutant who was constantly at war with another mutant group who happened to have my father as co-leader. I shook my head to clear it as Logan stretched down a hand and stroked my head.

"Hungry," he asked as he pushed into the kitchen. I snorted in amusement and followed Logan, my tail nearly dragging on the ground. I felt exhausted and worn. At least I had my healing power so I couldn't be injured. Without that I'd probably be dead now.

Logan padded to the fridge and I followed. He opened the fridge and grabbed a beer which was what he had wanted for a few days now. He picked up a piece of cheese and tossed it to me. I caught it and swallowed it without chewing. I was so hungry but I wasn't about to tell Logan that.

Suddenly I heard claws swiping against the ground. Logan heard it too and I bristled my fur, afraid it was Tony. Logan extended his claws and turned, ready to jab at it. He stopped once he realized it was a long haired gray and white tabby tom. The cat began to lick his claws and I rolled my eyes.

He laughed a bit and I strode toward it. "Get away furball," I snarled as my hackles rose. The cat hissed at me, wanting to slice at my muzzle but he thought better of it. He turned and darted back up the stairs.

I fluffed out my fur in confidence and turned to Logan. "Jealous," he chuckled as he cuffed my ear and I staggered a bit but I managed to stay on my paws.

"Perhaps," I rumbled before I butted my head against his leg. He fell sideways a bit and I wiggled my haunches, showing I wanted to wrestle. To my surprise he lowered down a bit and grasped my shoulders, throwing me a bit. I yelped in shock before I flapped my wings and pressed my paws on his back, pushing him down.

Suddenly I heard the click of a door being turned. "Magneto," I gasped as I saw the man standing in front of him, his hands ready to manipulate any metal that he could see.

"Easy," chided Logan once more as he grasped my color. My crystal bobbed against my chest and I gasped in shock. He hauled me back and narrowed his eyes. "Magneto is in prison! It's probably not him."

I whimpered and hung back, breathing deeply. I sat back on my haunches and watched as a teenage son pushed through the door follow by a male and female. They gasped at the sight of us and I looked to Wolverine who was wearing a thin shirt and sipping a beer and me who was standing with wings trying to seem invisible.

"Who the hell are you," asked Bobby's father.

Logan and I exchanged a glance. "Uh," we both stammered in union, trying to come up with a good lie.

"Mom," cried Bobby quickly as he traveled down the stairs and bolted in front of me.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school," she asked in confusion.

"Who is this guy and his mutt," cut in Bobby's father with stern eyes. I felt my fur bristled but Logan called me back.

Bobby looked at Logan and I before back to his parents. "This is Professor Logan and his dog er Starlight." He let out a sigh. "There's something I need to tell you."