Being A Real Wolf

I watched Logan as he tried to set up a tent. He fumbled around and I snorted in amusement. "The great Wolverine can't even set up a tent."

Logan fumbled around a bit before he eventually gave up. "Fine you can do it!" He turned to Storm. "That's why I just find a den in the woods. It's much less of a hassle."

Storm looked up from where she was fixing her own tent that she would share with Jean. "Not everyone wants to live like you do Logan," she pointed out with an amused raise of her eyebrows.

Logan crossed his arms and looked to Bobby and Rouge who were laughing at teach other. I rose to my paws and strode toward him. I arched my back and pushed it against him. "Calm down. They are just talking."

Logan nodded before Tony strode toward me. I stiffened and Tony noticed that. He took a wary step back, afraid I might attack. Smart wolf.

I suddenly reared on my hind legs and cleared my throat. "Who's hungry?"

Erik and Mystique turned their heads in confusion. Logan and Storm exchanged a glance while Jean pushed forward from where she was talking with Kurt and John.

"Hungry," echoed Kurt as he looked around. "We have nothing to eat."

I smiled and looked to Tony who was shaking his head. Lucky for me I didn't have to listen to him anymore because I was older now. "Tony, Poultice, and I can hunt and then you can cook it over a fire."

"You can actually hunt," asked Rouge in shock.

I thrust my ears forward. "Yes I can. Just because I live with mutants now doesn't mean I've forgotten my wolf heritage."

"I used to hunt when I was in my pack," announced Poultice as he rose to his paws, his ears flicking in hope at the prospect of hunting once more.

"I used to hunt when I was younger," rasped Tony as he glared at me. "I used to hunt for my daughter."

I flicked my ears. "Anyways do you want food?"

"It's the only chance we got at dinner," pointed out Logan as he turned to me. "What are you going to hunt?"

I shrugged. "Whatever I can find. Rabbits, voles, mice-"

"I am not eating mice," snapped Rouge as she wrinkled her nose in disgust.

I rolled my eyes. "Suit yourself," I snapped before I turned my Poultice. "We might also need to mark the surrounding area. Other wolves might want to come here and find our prey."

"How about you hunt a deer," suggested Mystique and I flicked my ears. That was the most I had ever heard her say.

Tony shook his head. "We would waste too much and I am not wasting prey that another pack could be eating."

"Why is it such a big deal if we waste a little meat," butted in Rouge as Bobby nodded in agreement.

The fur on my back stood on end. "Did you know that wolf pups die every day from starvation? Some pups have never even tasted meat. No offense but I bet none of you have ever gone hungry while packs of wolves die from it. They have no food, no water, and die in pain and agony from illness. The deer tat we would waste could save a pup's life."

Logan stretched out a hand, his eyes narrowed. This was just something else for Logan to bring up later that I needed to talk to the Professor about how I felt. He thought I needed help and I didn't.

"Let's go," I snarled as I turned to Poultice who's eyes are wide in terror. I relaxed a bit and butted my head against his haunch. "Don't be nervous. Once you know how to hunt you don't forget it."

Tony drew to my right flank and I had to stop myself from snarling at him and launching at him. "I lead," I told him as I lashed my tail. "Understand?"

Tony drew back, dipping his head. He wasn't about to argue with someone as strong willed at his daughter. "Just like your mother," he breathed, loud enough for Starlight to hear with her super senses. "Beautiful yet fierce!"