It Was Just A Dream

I felt a claw poke my side. I bolted upward, ready to fight. I suddenly shook my head to clear it and I realized it was Logan. I retracted my claws and the wound in my side suddenly healed. "What happened," I mumbled as I sat down and pawed at my eye a bit.

"You must have been knocked out," Logan explained before he looked past me to the dead body. "No. No."

I realized that he was looking at Mirage. "Logan," I began but I realize he wasn't listening. I just strode toward him and sat where he saw as he ran a hand over Mirage's bloody body. It was now cold to the touch and I wondered how long I had been out for.

"What happened," he asked as he ran his hand down Mirage's underbelly. He then halted once he reached his chest where his fingers revealed three claw marks.

"He was being controlled," I explained with a heavy heart. "Mind controlled and there was nothing I could do to snap him out of it. He was sick."

Logan turned and lifted Mirage's muzzle. A strange crusty black substance was beginning to clot over his mouth and I shuddered. "They must have given him the same water that they gave Keen and that made him sick."

"You killed him though," Logan murmured before he looked at me.

I nodded. "Please don't make me feel worse about this. I wasn't able to help him. Besides he threw me down and I raised my claws. He leaped right on them," I explained as I licked my lips and tasted blood. The taste made me want to vomit.

A thought suddenly surged through Logan, I could tell. "How are you going to tell Poultice," Logan asked me as he clasped Mirage's paw in his hand.

"I don't know yet," I rasped. Logan was certainly making this harder, not easier by any means but I knew it was going to happen. I was going to have to tell him eventually and I had to tell the truth.

"I'll be there with you if that helps," Logan told me as he rested a hand on my shoulder to try and calm me down.

I shook in grief and I thrust my head once more onto Mirage's pelt. "I had a dream that my mother took Mirage up to Starbound but I don't think that it was real. My stupid mind made it up to comfort me! I didn't actually see my mother. Does that mean that Mirage didn't actually go to Starbound?"

"Of course he did," assured Logan as he hugged me and I licked his hand. "It may not have been a dream. It could have been a vision you don't know."

"I'm sorry Logan," I stammered as I licked my muzzle. "You need support not me. You're finding out about your past and a pup dies and it sends me into a hysteria."

"I would feel the same way if something happened to Jean or the Professor or Rouge, especially Rouge," he murmured as he stroked me between the ears to comfort me. "I completely understand."

I wagged my tail a bit and pressed my head into his shoulder and murmured. "I think I would like to talk to the Professor," I sighed as my shoulders lurched a bit.

"I'll go with you," murmured Logan as he rested a hand on my wingbone. "You're not thinking about giving up your teaching position, are you?"

I snorted in amusement and bolted to my paws before I flapped my wings and flew a bit. "Of course not! But let's go. This place is creeping me out!"