Adjusting to Teaching

I pushed down the hallway, my tail thumping against the ground. It was my first day as a full time teacher. I had numerous pups or companions to the other students coming in here. They wanted to learn how to control their powers and according to the professor I was the best one to teach this class since I was leader of the X-Pack.

Mirage was the first wolf in class. He bolted in and beamed. "Hi Starlight!" He then drew back a bit. "Or do I have to call you something else now?"

I shook my head. "Just Starlight is fine. Now take your seat."

Other pups filed in. I wasn't sure of all of their names yet but I knew that I'd remember then as soon as I first learned them. After everyone settled down a bit and took their seats I cleared my throat.

"Hello. I am Starlight and I am here to teach you how to control your powers and be the best companions to the mutants that you can be," I told them as I paced in front of them. I was trying to get my own nerves out. "Now-"

"Starlight," whispered a voice at the entrance of the room.

I pricked my ears and saw Logan at the entrance of room. I tilted my head and turned to the pups. Class had just started but it looked like I was already dismissing early. "Alright I want each of you to write a half page paper on your power. It should be on my desk tomorrow. Class dismissed." The pups rose from their seats and darted out of the entrance of the den.

Logan moved aside and looked at me. "What was that," I growled as my fur bristled. "This was my first class and I don't even know anyone's name. How can I grade papers tomorrow or know who's power fits who?!"

Logan lifted his hands. "Cool it. The professor scent me," he told me. "Something happened that we need to discuss."

I plastered my ears against my head. "Alright." I padded forward with Logan following. We veered toward the Professor's room and pushed themselves forward. Storm, Cyclops, and Jean were already in there. They turned their heads to face us once we arrived.

I saw Thruster sitting next to the Professor and he yipped a bit. I bounded forward and touched my nose to his affectionately. "Can we save this for later," asked Cyclops as he pushed his hand on his flank.

I growled and sat beside my mate, our fur brushing. Logan sat beside Jean but that's no surprise. We then looked to the Professor.

"What happened," asked Logan as he rested his hands on his knees.

The Professor sighed. "A mutant attacked and almost killed the president."