The Forest

Alex and I forgot about the forest. Completely forgot. Maybe because I fell asleep on the ride home. I was exhausted. I haven't laughed so hard in a while. When I woke up the next morning though, I remembered the forest. So I showered as fast as I could, and got dressed.

I pulled on a pair of jean shorts and a red baggy tshirt with an anchor on it. I slipped on a pair of red vans before heading out the door and in the direction of the forest. I reached there in about twenty minutes and parked my car. I walked slowly into the forest and my mind was going crazy. It's like the forest had something to tell me. But I couldn't figure it out.

I walked past the trees, losing myself in the beauty of nature. After about ten minutes of mindless wandering, I found myself standing infront of a little creek, next to a large tree. Larger than the rest. Something about that area just felt so right. 

I starred at the creek for a while, listening to the sound of birds chirping, bugs buzzing, trees rustling and water flowing. Have I been here before? Before my accident? I sighed and leaned up against the big tree. Out of no where, I had the biggest urge to climb it. So that's what I did. 

Who knew I could climb a tree so well?

I sat up on a branch and looked down at the creek and the rest of the forest. I don't think I've ever seen something so beautiful before in my life. The silence was wonderful. But would sound even more delightful with music, I thought to myself. I began tapping my fingers on my shorts and whisper-singing the first song that popped into my head.

"We're all a part of the same, sick little games." I sang, loosing myself in the lyrics. "And I need a get away, get away!"

"I'm wasting my days, I throw them away!" I heard something crack beneath me, but brushed it off. I've just been so paranoid about everything since the crash. "Loosing it all on these sick little games!"

With the last line, I heard another crack, and decided I'm not just being paranoid. This branch is about to fucking break. I stood up and set my foot on a different branch, starting to climb down. Halfway down, I was searching for a spot to set my foot when an unfamiliar voice asked, "Maddy?" 

I turned my head to look and see who it was, but before I could see, my foot slipped from under me. I felt  a hard smack on the back of my head before it all went black.

Jacks POV

I stood with my somach pressed against the counter, staring out at the forest. Did I want to go outside today? Sitting inside watching Home Alone by myself sounds pretty good. The sound of my phone blasting from my shorts pocket snapped me out of my thoughts.

I checked the caller ID and sighed before holding it up to my ear, "What?"

"Good morning, beautiful!" Alex shouted from the other end.

"If you're calling me to tell me I should go talk to her.. I don't want to hear it." 

"Jack." He sighed.

"Fuck off." I hung up the phone. He doesn't get it. No one does. Nor will anyone. Maddy lost her memory because of me. Her life will never be the same, because of me. It's all my fault. And he just expects me to go try to talk to her like everything's okay? No. Not going to happen. 

"Jack. She's in a band with us. You're going to need to-"

"No, I'm not Alex!" 

Usually how our conversations go. 

He just doesn't get it. If I can't forgive myself for this. How would Maddy ever forgive me?

I groaned loudly and punched the wall. I need to stop thinking about this. It's stressing me out. With that, I headed outside and towards the woods. I need to get away. As I walked in, I heard the familiar sounds of nature and sighed slowly. 

On my walk to the tree, I heard faint singing. "And I need a get away, get away!"

The voice sounded so familiar.. "I'm wasting my days, I throw them away!" Could it be? No.. It couldn't.. My pace picked up. "Loosing it all on these sick little games!"

By the time I made it to the tree I usually sit in, I saw a small body climbing down the tree. A small body I haven't seen in over a month. Which is the longest time that body and I have been apart since we've met.

Before I could stop myself, it slipped, "Maddy?" 

She tried cocking her head back to see who I was, before her foot slipped from underneath her. And before could even comprehend what was happening, her body was headed towards the ground. I threw my body towards her, but I was too late. She smacked against the ground before I could catch her.

"MADDY NO." I shouted, picked her body up in my arms. "NO. NOT AGAIN."

I noticed blood gushing from her head. I quickly pulled my shirt off and pressed it against the cut. "Maddy.." No. Not again. NO.

A small whisper escaped my lips, "Madison. Please." 

an: ahh, yet another cliffhanger, ahah. i apologize i love to mess with you guys and your silly teenage hormones and yaddayadaaaa(; anyways guys.. story is basically over ): i'd say about a chapter or two left! so sad, i know): 

but please keep commenting and voting because it honestly means the world to me. i smile so big at all of your guys' comments (i read them all, btw). you guys are the fucking best and thank you for reading this story and getting it as popular as it is (:

i love you all!

cassie