What Apartment?

2013

I heard a honk from outside and grinned widely. I grabbed my suitcase and walked outside to be faced with a giant tourbus. I opened the door and greeted the bus driver then walked over to the couch and sat down next to Zack, hugging him awkwardly from the side, "Heya, Merrick."

He locked his phone, "Hello, Allbourne."

"Anyone else on yet?" I asked.

He shook his head no.

"I'm so tired." I said, "I've been up all night fangirling over the fact we're going on tour with Pierce The Veil."

He laughed, "The only human in a popular punk band that still fangirls over punk bands. Go take a nap."

"That I will do." I said, standing up.

I walked over to the bunks and opened the curtain to my usual bunk, threw my pillow on it and slid in, then closed the curtain. I was out instantly.

I woke up to the sound of whispering, "Jack.. Don't."

"She's been sleeping all day. It's already 5!"

There wasn't a response and I heard the curtain slide open.

"MADISON GRACE ALLBOURNE. WAKE YOUR SLEEPY ASS UP." A familiar voice shouted in my ear.

Keeping my eyes shut, I slapped him in the face, feeling around. "Where's the off button on the alarm clock?" I groaned.

He laughed and grabbed me and pulled me out from my bunk. I think he expected me to stand up, but I let my body go limp and I fell ontop of him. We landed hard on the ground and I heard the guys break out in laughter. I looked down at Jack and smiled slightly, feeling awake now. "Sorry, Jacky."

I sat up and helped him up, he rubbed the back of his head and hugged me with his free arm. "It's okay."

I hugged him back. "I missed you."

"Missed you too." I said, pulling away.

"Where's my hug?" Alex asked.

I gave him a look, "Where's my wine?" I asked.

He held a finger up then turned around and reached in his suitcase. He pulled out a big bottle of wine and smiled, and it looked like an ad you would see on the back of  magazine.

"IS THAT MERLOT?" I shouted.

He nodded and I screamed, "HUG ME BROTHA!"

The guys laughed at my Drake & Josh reference as I hugged Alex tight. Alex and I always drank Merlot together and stayed up late getting drunk and having deep talks about weird shit. He told me a lot about space and I told him a lot about the sea. It was our way of bonding.

I hugged Rian and we all headed to the back lounge. Zack, Rian and Alex put in guitar hero and started to play as Jack and I decided to catch up. 

"How's your new apartment?" I asked. "I'm sorry I couldn't visit. I've had so much going on and-"

"It's fine." He smiled. "It's good."

"How's Holly?" I asked, referring to his Playboy Model girlfriend.

"She's good." 

"Why you giving me such short answers?" I asked, taking a sip from my can of pepsi.

He shrugged and before he could answer, the bus stopped. I looked outside the window, we were at a restaurant.

"Time to eat!" I shouted, realizing how hungry I actually was. I haven't eaten all day.

We got off the bus and walked into the restaurant, taking a booth. The place was nice, but not fancy nice. Alex, Rian and I squeezed into one side, while Jack and Zack sat across from us. The waitress was a pretty, short blonde girl. She handed us menus and introduced herself as Veronica.

We all ordered our drinks, alcoholic of course, and waited for her to return with them.

"So." Alex said from next to me and folded his hands on the table, "How was everyone's break from each other?"

"Ahh," I said, "Please stop trying to be proper."

He gave me a look, and started to say something, but Rian cut him off. "I had a great time."

"Same, I got a new camera." Zack said as the waitress set our drinks down infront of us.

"Do you guys know what you want?" She asked.

"Uhh, yeah." Rian said, and gave the lady our order, which was two large pizzas. When she left Alex looked over at me, "What'd you do, Maddy?"

"Umm, just caught up with some old friends. Hung around with Mama Allbourne." I shrugged. "You?"

"Pretty much the same." He looked at Jack. "Jackypoo. Your turn to share."

"Not much." He shrugged and took a sip of his drink.

"You're not going to tell them about your new apartment?" I asked.

He gave me a look.

"What apartment?" Alex asked.

Jack sighed, "Holly and I got an apartment together."

"Shit, Jack." Alex said.

That's when I realized Rian and Zack were in a conversation of their own. 

"You two are getting pretty serious, huh?" Alex asked.

"I guess so."

Jack was acting so strange and it was really getting on my nerves. But I knew he wouldn't talk about it infront of the guys, I would have to wait until later to talk to him. I sighed to myself and the conversation went on.

After we finished eating, we headed back to the bus, and when the guys went to the back lounge to play more video games, I grabbed Jack's arm. He turned around and looked at me.

"Can we talk?" I asked softly.

He nodded and we sat on the couch in the front of the bus.

I sat Indian style, facing him, and he sat normally.

"What's going on with you, Jack?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been acting different."

"How?"

"You  just are. You're not being the normal fun Jack you always are. Ever since I brought up Holly, you've been all.. Ughhh."

He looked at me, with an indescribable expression on his face. It looked like hurt mixed with something I couldn't decode.

"I don't know." Was his response.

"Jack," I sighed, "It's just me. Maddy. Your best friend. Since seventh grade. You remember that right? You know I won't judge you for shit. Why can't you just talk to me. The guys aren't around jus-"

He cut me off with a groan.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Sorry." He said.

"Seriously, Jack. What's up?"

"Madison. Clearly I don't want to fucking talk about it." He said, standing up and walking away.

I was in shock. I didn't know what to say. Were Jack and I fighting? No. Jack and I never fight. Especially over something stupid like this. But why isn't he talking to me. Jack tells me everything. And there's obviously something wrong with him, because he said he doesn't want to talk about it, instead of denying there is even a problem.

All I know is he better get his fucking act together before tour actually starts tomorrow.